Tools for Cutting Acrylic

evan4218

Active Hunter
whats the best tool for cutting acrylic, I know the awnser is not a dremmel but there are so many types of saws out there.

Thanks
Justin

Grabbed this from a website:

Table/Circular Saw:
For rough cutting acrylic, you can use a table saw or a circular saw with a fine blade. Blades with fine closely spaced teeth (like those used for plywood) will work relatively well. Blades with widely spaced teeth (like the type used for cutting MDF) will cause a lot more chipping. I've used an Oldham B7254760 on a circular saw with good results. When using a hand held circular saw, use a guide to make sure you get a straight cut with minimal chipping. There are blades made specifically for cutting acrylic. If you're going to be cutting a lot of acrylic or are using very expensive (thick) material, you need to invest in a blade specifically designed for cutting plastics and laminates.

Jig Saw or Band Saw:
Jig saws can be used to cut acrylic when you need something other than a straight cut. To reduce the work of cleaning up the cut, use the finest blade that you can find. Blades with reduced depth (like those used for scroll work - shown below) will work best due to less friction and less resistance when turning the blade. You'll have to experiment with cutting speed to see what works best. Too much pressure can cause excessive chipping. Going too slow may cause the acrylic to melt. If the acrylic melts when cutting, use a light lubricating oil. Have someone apply the oil to the blade as you're making the cut. DON'T use an aerosol dispensed oil. The propellant may be flammable and may be ignited by the jig saw motor. I've had good results with the blade shown below.

Justin what equipment do you have access too? I would recommend a band saw. If you have a table saw use a 80 or 100 tooth blade, like ripcode said a laminate blade will work perfect.

Sweet, that would be perfect, thanks... I have access to almost anything, I am trying to find good tools to add to my own work area but between all my firends and family I have access to it all. They havea sale on band saws going on so I may take advantage. This should solve my issue of being able to cut acrylic for both visors and custom RFs... :)

evan4218 said:
Sweet, that would be perfect, thanks... I have access to almost anything, I am trying to find good tools to add to my own work area but between all my firends and family I have access to it all. They havea sale on band saws going on so I may take advantage. This should solve my issue of being able to cut acrylic for both visors and custom RFs... :)

Mmmm... Bandsaw... :love

That is on my want list for future power tools.

The jigsaw is not cutting it (excuse the pun! :lol:). I use it to cut styrene and it does melt the plastic pretty quick.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back