The Helmet Colors

pthalken

New Hunter
Is The Mandalorian helmet colors just silver with very minor and subtle weathering? Also, I wish we had a name for this guy other than 'The Mandalorian'

He's also been referred to as "The Gunslinger". Though either name seems to require the same amount of typing lol
It just gets way confusing when trying to explain this to non-super fans. **Holds up a custom mandalorian helmet** "This is a mandalorian helmet" **Holds up The Mandalorian helmet** "This is The Mandalorian helmet, it is a mandalorian helmet, but specifically The Mandalorian helmet." friend then asks, "Is Boba Fett's a mandalorian helmet" I exaplin, "Yes and no, he does have mandalorian armor, not to be confused with The Mandalorian armor, but Boba Fett is not a mandalorian" I start to see more confusion come across my dear friends face. LOL

Looks like a lacquer chrome metalizer over gloss black paint, sprayed pretty lightly so more of the black shines through giving it a dark metal look.

Alclad Chrome or a similar product. used like this

Could be something like rub n' buff or a coldcast too, but they're really difficult to get shiney and pretty delicate and hard to work with surfaces for a film prop, so bit more unlikely.

Looks like a lacquer chrome metalizer over gloss black paint, sprayed pretty lightly so more of the black shines through giving it a dark metal look.

Alclad Chrome or a similar product. used like this

Could be something like rub n' buff or a coldcast too, but they're really difficult to get shiney and pretty delicate and hard to work with surfaces for a film prop, so bit more unlikely.
i can get cold cast that shiny.

Oh yeah, totally, didn't mean to imply you can't shine up cold casts. Definitely doable with really great results, just takes a lot of polishing work though. So I'd suspect for a film production where'd they'll likely have many hero and stunt copies, it'd be easier and more consistent to spray a metallizer on them. Just what I suspect the prop artists did.

But yeah, tons of different methods that us reproduction builders can use.

Alternatively you could use products like Alclad or Spaz Stix. They are very similar in finish when used correctly.

Cold cast won’t look the part IMO, but if that’s anyone’s preferred method certainly go for it!

Very excited to paint one myself once a good kit comes out.

Alternatively you could use products like Alclad or Spaz Stix. They are very similar in finish when used correctly.

Cold cast won’t look the part IMO, but if that’s anyone’s preferred method certainly go for it!

Very excited to paint one myself once a good kit comes out.

I agree, I think cold cast will leave a "brushed" look to the armor. While a product like alclad or spaz stix wouldn't. There are even the spray on chrome products similar to what is used in this video. The Captain Phasma community would be a good resource for chroming methods.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back