Taking a cast from a mystery helmet

BANDITZ

Hunter
Taking elasaplast from a history helmet

Has any body made a lid from a saucepan....

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to re-cast a Mystery Helmet? I really wouldn't advise doing that if I were you. Re-casting is against TDH policies.

The best way to make a mould of a Mystery Helmet is to actually put your sculpting skills to the test and make your own helmet to cast. That way you will have the satisfaction of being able to say you did it all. Anyone can make a cast of someone elses work but at what cost? Your reputation is worth more then being known as another shotty recaster.

E2K13 said:
The best way to make a mould of a Mystery Helmet is to actually put your sculpting skills to the test and make your own helmet to cast. That way you will have the satisfaction of being able to say you did it all. Anyone can make a cast of someone elses work but at what cost? Your reputation is worth more then being known as another shotty recaster.
I'm not acually going to do it.....i don't have the resources or the time...i just wondered how people do it....i allready own a mystery helmet 75% com........i also got a hybrid helmet which will be a jango helmet....... cheers .................

webchief said:
You want to re-cast a Mystery Helmet? I really wouldn't advise doing that if I were you. Re-casting is against TDH policies.
who owns the rights to the mystery lid........who made it ???????????????????

E2K13 said:
Richy.....i'm not a sculptor im a sheetmetal worker............ :lol:

Kinda funny that someone with the screen name "BANDITZ" wants to recast someone elses work. My bad, that's right you were just wondering how to do it, you weren't actually going to do it.

If you're a sheet metal worker I think that you should try your hand at making a scratch built with metal. That is something that I want to do someday, after my suit is complete and I decide to start upgrading.

so you saying every member TDH has made his own helmet from scratch.....lol.....where do they get the lids from ...some body must make them..... or do they all plant seeds in the ground & wait for them to grow.......

No, he's just saying that you don't say you're interested in recasting another board member's sculpt. Most buy the buckets from the member who made it, buy it on Ebay OR sculpt their own.

hey i may just suprise you......only thing thats difficult is the dome.....the compond curves are to tight......it would take weeks to pound it out.....& alot of patience....which i dont have

i've just bought 2 helmets from the US.....a mystery sized & a hybrid....i've allready posted both pics.......check them out.........& i must say they are mint..........

That's not what they are saying. You asked how to recast a helmet. I'm sure that has raised many an eyebrow. You also said you were a sheet metal worker and someone suggested you make one out of metal rather than recast. Several of our members make great helmets. Some of us have gotten them through them, some through ebay. Personally, a metal helmet would be pretty cool.

Wes

BANDITZ said:
so you saying every member TDH has made his own helmet from scratch.....lol.....where do they get the lids from ...some body must make them..... or do they all plant seeds in the ground & wait for them to grow.......

Wow. He asked a question and was jumped all over from his question to his choice of names. What gives? I would love to know how recasting is done, but I have been so deathly afraid of being jumped on and banned that I remain silent.

:puke hmmm....all i wanted to know that when you cast a helmet from plaster fibreglass etc......is the helmet made in 1 piece........or is it cast in several componants....then stuck together.................

I think what we have here is failure to comunicate.

It apears to be your choice of words, or one word in this case "recast". Recasting is frowned upon because it means you are taking someone elses work and making copies of it, in most cases to sell those copies. This could be viewed as steeling as someone put a large amount of work into making the original helmet that they then made a casting of. Maybe your question was: "How does one make a mold to cast a helmet?". This question would not have prompted as much tension as the "REcast" word has.

Also, I have thought about making a metal bucket myself and I would take a shortcut on the dome part as others who have made scratch built helmets have done. Try using something that already resembles a metal dome, like a stainless mixing bowl or something similar.

trust me i've been looking........the only thing that come close was a motor guard from a 8ft brake press & 1/3rd of it was perforated......my quest is ongoing....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back