stormrider full HIC front panel question...

skynet

Hunter
Hey folks,

maybe an awkward question:

I got a stormrider full front HIC Panel (flexible) and after it was collecting dust the last years I'll pick my a** up off the ground and start DOING something.

Now: In my mind I start building the box, making the frame...and in order to attach the HIC panel I should (?) back the flexible HIC panel up with a solid woodden panel as a base. In other words: mounting a woodden plate (not too thick because of weight but firm and stable enough) to the frame in order to give the frame it's stability and the flexible HIC panel to hold something against.

My question: assuming the raw wodden box is placed horizontally...and I lay the flexible HIC panel on the wodden one - this creates small empty spaces between the flexible panel and the wooden one because the backside of the flexible HIC panel is not even.

Maybe this is not an issue generally but I want the flexible HIC panel to sit evenly on the box.

I notice it when I lay the flexible panel on the flat ground in my room.

Because it's not even on the back (this is normal due to the casting / pouring process I understand that) you can slightly poke your finger on it and it yields just a little bit.

Bottom line: Problem is that I want all the flat areas on the flexible HIC panel to just really sit flat and EVEN for the sake of optics...

Hope it doesn't sound confusing...anyone has a solution to that? I once thought to put a soft medium between the flexible panel and the stiff woodden panel in order to kind of being able to manipulate the flexible panel to sit really straight, even and flat...

regards

Look up videos for Han Solo in Carbonite and life casting in general and you will see that there is usually a step of filling and smoothing that gap with modeling clay, body filler like Bondo, or something else. There are a lot of ways to proceed. You can glue the castings down and then fill in the gaps. You can turn them over and fill them with a low-expanding foam, then trim that flat with a big flat saw. Pick a method you think you can work with and get to work!

I recommended using Loctite 505 commercial adhesive on a different thread to glue Han down. That stuff works great !!

Hm...

I have the full heavy rubber casting.

The hollow body parts are not the problem...since they are more or less very stiff.

What I meant is:

My full rubber casting lays flat on the ground. On it's back you have all the lumps due to the casting / pouring process of the rubber. On the back it is not completely flat so to say.

So when the thing is laying on a perfectly flat ground...on it's naturally uneven backside...there are pockets / small spaces between the flat ground and the backside of the casting everywhere where the carbonite texture is (again: only the carbonite texture areas not the hollow body parts of Han!)

You can press your finger on such a spot and the rubber can be pushed in a few milimeters. Maybe this sounds a*al a little bit but...

These pockets due to the uneven back of the casting CAN make the panel look uneven on the front! And...I don't like the thought of having a completed box and someone who's touching it can poke his finger or hand on the textured only areas, being able to push it in against it's back (wood).

I simply think about how to get the rubber casting sitting totally flat on the back - in order to have a perfect flat frontside where it's not possible to push in on so many areas.

I've had good luck using a good brand of contact cement to put different materials together. Perhaps you could trim some of the offending
high spots on the back a bit and then stabilize and flatten it to the board that way. Once this stuff sticks it really sticks. Test it first. Good luck.

Yeah .maybe just trim some of the uneven areas down some. I'm not sure you will notice it much. I have the same one from Stormrider. Only thing I'm not happy about with his panel is when I cut it down to place in the box I got from Zenix is eithe the panel is smaller or Zenix box is too big I have a rather large gap between the bottom of han and the bottom of the border. So I need to figure out how to fill that in. I was hoping it would match up perfectly.

Yeah .maybe just trim some of the uneven areas down some. I'm not sure you will notice it much. I have the same one from Stormrider. Only thing I'm not happy about with his panel is when I cut it down to place in the box I got from Zenix is eithe the panel is smaller or Zenix box is too big I have a rather large gap between the bottom of han and the bottom of the border. So I need to figure out how to fill that in. I was hoping it would match up perfectly.
How long and wide is the Stormrider full rubber cast? I was thinking of getting one but don’t want to run into the same issue. The box I’m building isn’t based on the Xenix box, but the builder plans that are out there. I don’t want to run into the same issue. Thanks!!

Sorry just seeing this. I didn't measure but I ended up cutting it to fit like it's supposed to and will fill in later with something paintable.

I'm about to pull my hair our right now my joints and seems are still cracking in a couple places so I'm still trying to figure that out. It's so frustrating. I wish I had glued the piss out of it to help with that but I didn't and now I'm paying for it. Even with more screws and finishing nails it's still causing me issues. I just don't know what to do.

Hello. Just in the early stages of starting my HIC. Does anyone know if stormrider is still making the HIC full front castings? I sent him a message several days ago and haven't heard back from him. Thanks

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back