Cape Soa ESB Fett WIP

Soa

New Hunter
So I've kicked the idea of doing a Fett around for a little while and finally decided to jump right in.

Parts I currently have ordered are:

RS armor from woodman
Jet pack kit from DVH
Fight suit and vest from Arkady
Boots and gauntlets from MOW
Unsure of the maker of the helmet but I'll post up pics once I get it.
Cape from MOW

Any advice on the current parts is greatly appreciated as well as suggestions for the remaining pieces.

I figure those parts will keep me busy for awhile since I've never done any hobby painting and I decided to get my feet wet painting boba parts. I'll add a ton of pics once I get started to go along with the million questions I'm sure to be asking along the way. Again any tips and suggestions for painting will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Get your wookie braids off Woodman as well while he is getting your RS armour together. I only have the synthetic but they are great for what I need. Good look with the Esb build I'm more jedi but will still look great.

Thanks Simon, I saw that he offered those so I'll probably pick up a set off of him.

New orders are one of MOW's new capes and a few pieces from machine craft replicas; knee darts, gauntlet darts, jet pack beacon, and toe spikes.

My helmet arrived the other day, not sure of the lineage of it, I ordered it off a guy on the main 501st boards. He was doing a run of them and it wasn't much more than one of the target ones. I just put a coat of primer on it after some cutting and sanding

554884010e953e1cba88e80b4a109820.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

So I suck at posting, quite a bit of stuff has made it in since my last post.

I have the flight suit from Arkady, now that it's warming up I can start weathering it

Boots from MOW, still need to weather those as well

Gauntlets and armor still has to be painted. I got my stuff then shortly after we moved from North Carolina to Wisconsin and there was no way in hell I was going out to paint in the garage during the winter.

I just attempted to dye the girth belt in the last few days
59f1b4a2cace4cdd524bd6a99978de87.jpg

I have a red oxidize spray paint that I'm going to apply over the brown to hopefully add a bit of rust color. I have no idea how that is going to turn out, but we shall see in a couple of days.

Since its starting to warm up again my next task is to try and get some more paint on the armor pieces before I move onto assembling the gauntlets

Sent from my iPhone

I'm still waiting on the jet pack, hopefully that should be here in the next couple of weeks. That will likely go down towards the bottom of the priority list of things to do

Sent from my iPhone

I was able to get some paint on the girth belt, I may try to touch it up with a bit more of the rust color
4b527b38f282376a9d41411b0aaa9452.jpg

My helmet should be getting finished up within the next few weeks, hopefully that'll give me the motivation to start working to finish up my other painting
539f13598ddbeda68df107b5c2a4eac0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Very nice paint job!!! did you use airbrush or pencil for the scratches???
Did you do the Girth Belt or you bought it?

The helmet and paint job comes from Uhbif here on the boards. I had a helmet was was going to attempt to paint myself but in the interest of time I opted to buy one already painted.

The girth belt I did myself with one bought off amazon. A bit of stain and some spray paint took care of that.

Sent from my iPhone

I began trying to lay the fiberglass in the gauntlets Saturday and that was a complete disaster. Only one of the halves were anywhere close to being usable. After I would get the matting in and the resin covering everything I tried putting them in the holder I made so they wouldn't expand or warp. The problem I ran into is that when I placed it down the sides would pull off.
I pulled the three that were hopelessly unusable and soaked them in simple green and water overnight and then soaked them in clean water last night.
Today I attempted it again and realized the error of my ways once I got to the last piece. I found cutting the matting into smaller strips made it way easier to control and get into all the little crevices as well as made it so much neater and easier to clean. I still have a little bit of clean up to do on them but hinge installation should be happening in the next few days followed by painting

f1faf2488c98b7696f1bd5603d66f902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

I was able to get the hinges on and got them primered

42713c7bd3933cb93d98352714417f1d.jpg

bfb4b5b7b899e92110eaff3ef675a177.jpg

The flame thrower stayed lined up pretty good, however the rocket launcher went a little askew. I'm hoping the magnets will be able to pull the halves into alignment. Once I get some more time I plan to start laying paint on them. My free time just took a pretty big hit
ef8017d9e461a5a2590098b4d41b07bf.jpg

In between diapers and bottles I'll try to get some more work done.

Sent from my iPhone

I've managed to get some painting done and I've been playing with installing magnets for the closures.

What I've learned so far is that one pair of magnets will be more than enough. I had initially planned on two pair in each gauntlet but very quickly realized I would never be able to get them open.
49a63f3c52c319c35a0bc7bd734a2856.jpg

While waiting for the JB weld to cure I went on a bit of a shopping spree.

Ordered Woodman's braids
Ordered deltaMikes ammo belt
Ordered big Danes jet pack harness
Ordered acombatbaby's aluminum flamethrower
Since I got that went ahead a grabbed an aluminum rocket as well from machine craft replicas
Scored a hyperfirm EE-3 off the main boards

That leaves me needing the sidearm, holster, gloves and shin tools. I will gladly take suggestions on any of those

Sent from my iPhone

Critique time:

I've been able to get some painting started and since I have absolutely zero experience I

I will happily take any feedback and advice you can offer

Sent from my iPhone

I'd go for a more uniform yellow tone, with hints of orange. I'm not an expert in the ESB department however so don't listen to me too closely, haha

I've reworked the knees again, I can never seem to be completely satisfied with the way they turn out

I'm happy with the upper arm pieces at the moment

d49594bc83219f6f117a3a2a6a1b4657.jpg

64276976a15b98763b340ab0664a8c22.jpg

As always I'm open to critiques on all the pieces, here is the chest and cod pieces

8b9701e40870acd06db1f23af375dbe8.jpg

9e241cea1ba1380bb02d1129ae58fc2a.jpg

fef770386d1c6b2f8e7246d60ef0dd18.jpg

And finally the weathering on the flight suit

08f4a5b013a931746d0a7be5d71ce3c5.jpg

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone

Most or your armor should have been trimmed more.

I was going to mention this re: knees in particular is where I noticed but looking back collar, top of shoulders, etc. too. At a minimum trimmed edges need sanding so you don't see jagged cut edges. The colors are fine though.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back