Shoulder bell paint up (Finished?)

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
So almost 10 years ago I posted the very first items I painted for my Boba display. Took several breaks away from the project over the years and really want to get this finished.

The items I posted in the original thread were the shoulder bells made from trashcan plastic and painted by me. At the time I didn't really want to do the trim around the silver as I didn't like the way it looked and I wasn't bound by the phrase movie accurate as this was just for personal fun. Also the skull was completely hand painted. The area around it was masked off for the shape then I drew in the skull and very meticulously painted the rest in. Although it was way too big.

So here the originals are

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

So fast forward ten years and I decide to give this another go. Different armor this time and added the appropriate trim around the scratches. I haven't done the skull yet as I am using a label this time and haven't really gotten down to weathering it.

Pics make these a tad more "orangey" than they are in real life.

20160415_160240.jpg

20160415_160309.jpg

20160415_160332.jpg

I used Reefer Yellow for the base and shaded slightly with UP Armor Yellow. Then shaded by hand in some spots with various ground pastel and the scuffs were painted on with Reefer Yellow again.

I don't really want to go wild with the weathering like the display suits show, but I really wanted to replicate that "chipping" effect at the top of the left piece and in a few spots on the right piece. I think it adds a lot of character to the pieces much like the light green "chipping" on the abdomen armor.

Well let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
look nice .. I always liked them looking more orangy than yellow personally.

Thanks! I know that the ESB right one is very orangey as well as the knees and the left is much brighter yellow while the ROTJ seems to be a balance between the 2 colors (this is what I'm going for)

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice indeed. What material did you use this time around?

Thank you! They are ones I made years ago after graduating from trash cans to working with Sintra.

There are still few spots of silver I need to add in.

I made a set of armor out of trash can material as well but was not happy with the finished product. I have began to make another set out of sintra.

I have weathered the label I'm using for the left piece and applied it.

20160417_101005.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the overall look.

The only thing I might add is the large streak on the piece. I haven't really decided.

Who thinks they are fine without? Who thinks I should really mess both of em up like in the MoM displays?

Leave a comment! Any feedback is appreciated!

20160417_101005.jpg

They look awesome!
Just a question cause I'm looking at paints for armor right now, what kind of paint would you recommend for doing shoulder and knee armor?

They look awesome!

Thank You!!!

Just a question cause I'm looking at paints for armor right now, what kind of paint would you recommend for doing shoulder and knee armor?

Well...I'm afraid that the paint I used is no longer being made. Fortunately I bought them years ago. I used Floquil and Polly Scale so this was a mix of enamel and acrylic.

Enamel base and acrylic shading with some additional shading using a mix of Conte a Paris and Rembrandt soft pastels.

I guess the paint of choice still in production is Humbrol. Here is a link to a chart showing the different number Humbrol paints you need and where to use them (This only shows ESB armor so if you are doing ROTJ follow the colors shown for the left shoulder. Rafalfett also has some stencils for both ROTJ and ESB posted on the board)

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/paint-numbers-humbrol-visual-guide-esb-rotj-helmet-esb-armor-49071/?highlight=humbrol+color+guide

Keep in mind that you can't wet mix enamels and acrylics, but you can paint them over each other once they are fully dried.

Oh wow, that Humbrol post will be very helpful when it comes to what paint to buy and where to paint it at.
Thanks for the advice dude, I think I'll definitely use it when it when I get ready to actually paint.

View attachment 98622

The only thing I might add is the large streak on the piece. I haven't really decided.

Who thinks they are fine without? Who thinks I should really mess both of em up like in the MoM displays?

I painted my shoulder bells using the MOM display pics, but I left off the big black streak that was on the left shoulder bell. Seemed really un-natural looking to me and it wasn't in the movie.

View attachment 98622

I would leave them the way they are. They look awesome as is.

I give them a nice black wash to make them look used.

Blackwash, then a black dry brush at the bottoms of all scratches, then testors dullcoat.

Nice bells.

The UP Armor Yellow is the brighter yellow? What is that "orangy" color along the edges and across the right bell?

Sorry. I've been off the board for a bit. The orangey color is a mix of light brown/tan/sienna pastels that I ground into dust and added by rubbing it onto the paint layer.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back