Rubies Supreme Edition Boba Fett Costume (Modifications?)

Stumbled on this listing on eBay and had to do a double take because I couldn't believe this seller is this bold. It's a Rubies suite painted up as "Supertrooper" in name only. Maybe the white dress shoes will be included to make it worth $1500.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131516588576

those shoes make me think that's cousin Eddie under all that mess.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432520739.369393.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

Yes, I have seen that a few times now and it makes me cringe each and every time:facepalm
Is it my imagination or is the ammo belt vac-formed:lol:

I'm new to TDH and wished I spent more time in serious research inas I have also been frozen in Rubinite, a.k.a. The Rubies costume, spendinding $750. The first costume arrived in the same condition yours did, gauntlet pieces detached, rocket detached. Sent it back and the 2nd costume was "better"? I planned to rework this costume but have since scrapped the entire junk flight suit and ordered up a ROTJ version from MOW that I think will fit the bill better after dtying and some airbrushing. Th helmet form is OK but I plan to do a complete layered repaint as it looks like they had some poor kid in beijing paint the damage with a 3 inch horeshair brush. Hideous. I am going to have the flak jacket taken in and tailored with a HD zipper and pull line installed in the back making it better fitting and I hope useable. I'm thinking I'll use the industrial Magnet attachment method for the chest armor I discovered here in a TDH post. I had to replace the chest armore entirely and its being shipped as the Rubies plating was so anatomically inadequate as to make them suitable for use only as dinner plates.

the JetPack? A complete repaint is in order but I plan to use it due to the mounting and integration hookup with the flak vest attachment. I Removed the rocket from the tank as I Shipped this for use at SW Weekend in Orlando last weekend and couldnt find a suitable shipping container with enough size or length to accomodate the unit as one piece. I detached the rocket and temporarily attach and reattach using industrial strength velcro until I find a cement that will work with PVC and the molded plastic of the jet pack. I plan to insert a 4 inch OD piece of PVC and cement into against the walls beneath the hole for the rocket. I have a PVC piece that will accept the pase of the rocket and which the OD will fit into the piece I cement inside the tank but I cant find the right polymer based cement to weld the PVC to the plastic type used for the Jet Pack. BTW, the Rocket and nozzles are horrendous and require a sled full of J & B to fill poorly matched seams and round it out after sanding to even get a half way decent look.

Lesson learned. I'm not deterred , Im determined now more than ever to Fett up and do it right. Extremely gald I stumbled into the TDH universe. A ton of useful and inspiring stuff here. Thanks everyone and does anyone by chance know what bonding agent or cement type works for ployvinyl plastic to PVC?

Tyvark

I haven't used adhesive on any of my remaining Rubies parts but I have used J-B Weld KwikWeld that I picked up at Home Depot for re-attaching the gauntlet rods on my RDK right gauntlet. It's a two part epoxy that you mix up with equal parts that sets in 6 minutes and is fully cured in 4-6 hours. "Can you tell I'm reading this off the back of the package?" If you decide to keep the knee armor be sure to line the inside with tape. They are extremely brittle and I've cracked a couple corners of mine by pulling the velcro off too fast. And don't drive with them on, I made that mistake when I got out of my car and clipped the corner of the door and snapped off one of the knee darts. I used Gorilla Tape on the subject areas inside the knee armor. I'll be interested to see your mods to the Rubies vest. It was one of the worst parts of the suit IMO especially when I received my Bat-Ninja vest. The picture comparisons from earlier in the thread of Bat-Ninja's vest and the Rubies don't do it justice, it's a major difference of quality, especially the difference in color which obviously doesn't show up via my digital images.

Good luck bro! You'll need it.

I'm new to TDH and wished I spent more time in serious research inas I have also been frozen in Rubinite, a.k.a. The Rubies costume, spendinding $750. The first costume arrived in the same condition yours did, gauntlet pieces detached, rocket detached. Sent it back and the 2nd costume was "better"? I planned to rework this costume but have since scrapped the entire junk flight suit and ordered up a ROTJ version from MOW that I think will fit the bill better after dtying and some airbrushing. Th helmet form is OK but I plan to do a complete layered repaint as it looks like they had some poor kid in beijing paint the damage with a 3 inch horeshair brush. Hideous. I am going to have the flak jacket taken in and tailored with a HD zipper and pull line installed in the back making it better fitting and I hope useable. I'm thinking I'll use the industrial Magnet attachment method for the chest armor I discovered here in a TDH post. I had to replace the chest armore entirely and its being shipped as the Rubies plating was so anatomically inadequate as to make them suitable for use only as dinner plates.

the JetPack? A complete repaint is in order but I plan to use it due to the mounting and integration hookup with the flak vest attachment. I Removed the rocket from the tank as I Shipped this for use at SW Weekend in Orlando last weekend and couldnt find a suitable shipping container with enough size or length to accomodate the unit as one piece. I detached the rocket and temporarily attach and reattach using industrial strength velcro until I find a cement that will work with PVC and the molded plastic of the jet pack. I plan to insert a 4 inch OD piece of PVC and cement into against the walls beneath the hole for the rocket. I have a PVC piece that will accept the pase of the rocket and which the OD will fit into the piece I cement inside the tank but I cant find the right polymer based cement to weld the PVC to the plastic type used for the Jet Pack. BTW, the Rocket and nozzles are horrendous and require a sled full of J & B to fill poorly matched seams and round it out after sanding to even get a half way decent look.

Lesson learned. I'm not deterred , Im determined now more than ever to Fett up and do it right. Extremely gald I stumbled into the TDH universe. A ton of useful and inspiring stuff here. Thanks everyone and does anyone by chance know what bonding agent or cement type works for ployvinyl plastic to PVC?

Tyvark

I haven't used adhesive on any of my remaining Rubies parts but I have used J-B Weld KwikWeld that I picked up at Home Depot for re-attaching the gauntlet rods on my RDK right gauntlet. It's a two part epoxy that you mix up with equal parts that sets in 6 minutes and is fully cured in 4-6 hours. "Can you tell I'm reading this off the back of the package?" If you decide to keep the knee armor be sure to line the inside with tape. They are extremely brittle and I've cracked a couple corners of mine by pulling the velcro off too fast. And don't drive with them on, I made that mistake when I got out of my car and clipped the corner of the door and snapped off one of the knee darts. I used Gorilla Tape on the subject areas inside the knee armor. I'll be interested to see your mods to the Rubies vest. It was one of the worst parts of the suit IMO especially when I received my Bat-Ninja vest. The picture comparisons from earlier in the thread of Bat-Ninja's vest and the Rubies don't do it justice, it's a major difference of quality, especially the difference in color which obviously doesn't show up via my digital images.

Good luck bro! You'll need it.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Knee Armor. I'm looking at replacing it as you say it's completely flimsy and I already have the Velcro strap tearing away from a grommet on one of them. I just did a retro fit for the rocket onto the Rubies Jet-Pack tank to make it removable for shipping and still easily reattached and remain very stable. I'm going to post photos and instructs shortly. BTW found the perfect cement for PVC to dissimilar plastic's; DEVCON Plastic Welder, another two part epoxy mix.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Knee Armor. I'm looking at replacing it as you say it's completely flimsy and I already have the Velcro strap tearing away from a grommet on one of them. I just did a retro fit for the rocket onto the Rubies Jet-Pack tank to make it removable for shipping and still easily reattached and remain very stable. I'm going to post photos and instructs shortly. BTW found the perfect cement for PVC to dissimilar plastic's; DEVCON Plastic Welder, another two part epoxy mix.

Let me know if you start a different thread on how you retro fitted the rocket on the Jet-Pack or throw them on here if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I'm promoting purchasing any of my unused Rubies parts, but wanted to update this thread with the finality of my Rubies being jettisoned. Seems like an important chapter for this journey I got myself into but after it all I wouldn't have changed a thing. I've met great people via this thread that I consider friends now.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=252104285822&globalID=EBAY-US

Any feedback about the listing comments would be appreciated since I can change them on the fly.

Saw this at Celebration and brought back some painful memories. But in hindsight I never would have found out about TDH when I did and am all the better for it. If you’re here as well and have the slightest thought of buying this, please just don’t and hightail it over to the TDH booth so we can talk shop.

P.S. - the sticker saying this is a reduced price is hilarious along with being horribly disturbing.

So I've replaced a few parts and wanted to show some more comparison pics of the glaring differences. These pics are a side by side with my BooBooFett belt. The Rubies belt is made out of some kind of rubber and the ammo pouches (if you want to call them that) are hollow, don't keep their shape and each pouch is like a piece of you know what. And like I've said many times before the pictures don't do them justice in terms of how bad they really are.
CloseUp-Front.jpg

Back.jpg

I've also replaced my braids with a set of Woodman's. The original braids are only half of the length they should be so you only wear them down the front with nothing showing on the back. The material is some kind of synthetic hair that is way too shiny along with not being close to screen accurate compared to all the attachments and extra hair that comes w/ Woodman's. And to top it all off, they glue a piece of velcro to the braids that won't stay on. It's like come on guys, just use some common sense and be a little resourceful with attaching something as simple as that.

Gloves & Wookie Braids.jpg

IMG_1188.JPG

A couple months ago I bought a pair of Mike M's ROTJ SE gloves and as you can see the Rubies pair on the left have very thin pads and the left glove's palm pad needs to be shorter than the right.

IMG_1192.JPG

Hopefully I'll be able to do a final installment of comparing the jet pack if we ever get our packs from Anovos.

Attachments

• CloseUp-Front.jpg
    CloseUp-Front.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 247
Slowly the rubies will be no more!

One day Buda, one day. And I'll have to do a live stream for the chat of whatever is the last part being torched. Also, I forgot to post that the Rubies suit at Celebration had a sold sticker on it the last day. I assume whomever bought it was picking it up at the end and I wanted to walk the crowd and ask every person if they bought it and have an intervention if I found them.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back