ROTJ Helmet Paint is it done yet?

InvogueUK

New Hunter
Guys, before I go any further with this lid - can you have a look and tell me what you think? Is it good enough yet? I'm aiming for 501st so if I need to do anything I would rather do it now than when I have installed the visor or other parts. I quickly grabbed these shots on my phone this morning in artificial light. If you need clearer shots then I can take them when the sun is out later.
Thanks always - TDH is such a helpful group of guys (and girls!).

The weathering and damage does look good but you should get photos in natural light. Doing so will allow the colors to show much better. It also wouldn't hurt to compare it to the gallery photos to see how the damage matches up.

The weathering and damage does look good but you should get photos in natural light. Doing so will allow the colors to show much better. It also wouldn't hurt to compare it to the gallery photos to see how the damage matches up.

Yes sir! Your wish is my command!
I just took the lid outside and took these. It's a dull cloudy day in the UK (makes a change!)
These should give you an idea on the colours. I have used RafalFett's stencils and the Humbrol colour chart that matches the ROTJ paint requirements. I've gone through so much paint I feel I am Humbrol's best customer...

Anyway here are the images, what do you think?

Trust me I am by no means an expert on this as I have zero painting skills lol. To me it looks like the red for the mandibles, behind the ears, and the band might be a bit too orange. Hopefully someone with more painting experience than me will chime in though.

Trust me I am by no means an expert on this as I have zero painting skills lol. To me it looks like the red for the mandibles, behind the ears, and the band might be a bit too orange. Hopefully someone with more painting experience than me will chime in though.
You could be right, I did tone it down a little with Humbrol Grey 79 so I am not sure if this could be the issue. The mandible red I couldn't find the Humbrol correct colour so I used the Humbrol suggested replacement which is 1:1 mix of 70.818 Vallejo (Red leather) and Vallejo Model Color 982 Cavalry Brown. If that is the case, I can repaint the mandibles but I would need a better substitution colour which is available in the UK. Something like Tamiya, Vallejo or another available colour. Does anyone else agree?

I would agree that the mandibles are a little too orange. I always use the floquil color but as that is hard to find, Model Master's British Crimson or Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red might do the trick. If you can get both in enamel (yes Tamiya does do enamel) then you could also experiment mixing the two. Your other colors look pretty good!

I would agree that the mandibles are a little too orange. I always use the floquil color but as that is hard to find, Model Master's British Crimson or Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red might do the trick. If you can get both in enamel (yes Tamiya does do enamel) then you could also experiment mixing the two. Your other colors look pretty good!

Useful info, I'll see if I can get some this weekend and repaint them. Should be simple enough. I've really enjoyed the process so far. As soon as that is done I'll put the photos on here. Is there anything else?

Useful info, I'll see if I can get some this weekend and repaint them. Should be simple enough. I've really enjoyed the process so far. As soon as that is done I'll put the photos on here. Is there anything else?

I think the rest comes with experience and studying the gallery. Mostly what I'm noticing is the damage isn't entirely accurate shape-wise, and there are misting subtleties that are not easy to pick up on the first time. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, your helmet is miles ahead of the first one I ever painted.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back