ROTJ gauntlets nearly finished

Han shot first

New Hunter
Happy with my new gauntlets, my old ones were fine but you know what it's like.....these look better/are better and I was bored during lockdown so hit the button. Just need to add the pipes and dirty them up this weekend.

Attachments

• gauntlet 1.jpg
    gauntlet 1.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 204
  • gauntlets 2.jpg
    gauntlets 2.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 191
  • gauntlets 3.jpg
    gauntlets 3.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 188
  • gauntlets 4.jpg
    gauntlets 4.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 187
  • gauntlets 5.jpg
    gauntlets 5.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 175
  • gauntlets 6.jpg
    gauntlets 6.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 168
  • gauntlets.jpg
    gauntlets.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 193
Han shot first
Having just completed my Boba Maker ROTJ Gauntlets, these look nice. (y) The title says "ROTJ Gauntlets", I'm guessing these are the Hero variant? May I ask what you used to get the paint on them? (Rattlecan or Airbrush) Also what brand/color did you use?

-Iron

Last edited:
Han shot first
Having just completed mine, these look nice. (y) The title says "ROTJ Gauntlets", I'm guessing these are the Hero variant? May I ask what you used to get the paint on them? (Rattlecan or Airbrush) Also what brand/color did you use?

-Iron
Hi bud, as far as I know (which is limited lol) they are standard ROTJ gauntlets, but happy if someone can confirm this. As for colours etc, I used a spray can for the burgandy and the RAL was 3004. The other colours on the smaller items were just guessed and mixed from paints me and my mate had at home.

Han shot first
Cool! Again mine are also Boba Maker! Also being a novice at this, I just finished them a couple weeks ago. As far as my knowledge goes ROTJ has a couple different variants they are called "Hero" and "SE". I think SE is more of what is seen in the promo shots and the Hero variant is more of what you saw on screen in the movie. But again, being a novice I myself am not 100% on that. When I started my research on a ROTJ Boba, I landed on using the 501st CRL pics they had on file. This pic, which I grabbed in December 2019, got retired in March of 2020. It has since been replaced....
501st Gauntlet.jpg

Now....let it be known that I'm NOT going to be attempting to get myself 501st certified, but I gotta say I'm NOT a fan of the 501st new gauntlet CRL pic, maybe its just me.....I dunno. Having said that, I opt'd to emulate the paint/weathering job of the above pic.....here was my end result.....
Left Gauntlet.jpg

Right Gauntlet.jpg

I know from the pics its difficult to tell, but where it is supposed to be silver (I know....it looks grey)....it is indeed chrome/silver. (I used Tamiya X-11) I used an airbrush to do the entire set. I thought they came out great. Boba Maker's stuff is nice isn't it? (y)

-Iron

Last edited:
Mate that is a sterling job they look awesome to me, nice touches etc. We went for a bit of burnt look from the flame throwers, yeah artistic license but hey :). Nice job with dirtying up the hoses, doing mine at the weekend. Last time I did some I used the felt from the middle of a brown felt tip pen and pushed it through, they came out great. I have some wrist darts to add too, got them off ebay for like £5 they are sound. Good work Iron....this is the way my friend.

Attachments

• darts.jpg
    darts.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 103
Han shot first
Thanks man! This is the Way! (y) Yeah, I'm doing a whole costume I got a WIP going too, "Iron's ROTJ WIP". The hoses I stained in Black Coffee for a few days to achieve that base weathered stain color, and then airbrushed on the browns and misted on black ever so lightly. Nice deal on them Darts! I had originally looked at resin too and felt that for just a few bucks more I could get metal ones parts. I got my metal Darts and Rocket from QuestDesignCanada (He's got an Etsy Storefront) - very reasonable prices and the quality as you can see is amazing. The Metal Flame Thrower Nozzles are from Machine Craft and were a second hand purchase from a member in "TDH's - Cargo Hold", very often you can find a gem or two in there and good prices to boot! That was also a pain and dodgy process in getting them fitted. But it worked! I don't wanna hi-jack your thread so if ya want, you can check out my WIP.

Best of luck to you on your hoses and darts!

Regards,
-Iron

Last edited:
I never would have thought to use a felt tip maker to push through the hose. Brilliant idea!!

I had issues getting my hoses to take the coffee stain. I tried leather stain too which didn't work. I finally sprayed paint down the pipe then after it mostly dried pushed a small piece of paper towel wetted in solvent through the hose. It removed just enough of the paint to look weathered.

Good work! If you are going for 501st approval I would work on the damage to match the CRL though.

I never would have thought to use a felt tip maker to push through the hose. Brilliant idea!!

I had issues getting my hoses to take the coffee stain. I tried leather stain too which didn't work. I finally sprayed paint down the pipe then after it mostly dried pushed a small piece of paper towel wetted in solvent through the hose. It removed just enough of the paint to look weathered.

Good work! If you are going for 501st approval I would work on the damage to match the CRL though.

Hi mate, thanks, the felt tip pen thing worked really well for me last time, I am off to get some tubing now so will take photos etc as i do it today. I am not too bothered about 501st, be nice to do it one day but I am in Jersey, a small island off the coast of france and getting somewhere to get my costume appoved would be a bit of a nightmare.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back