Reference Hydraulic Transcription Turntable by JA Michell. Sweep arms/stylus brushes

Nice spot, There is one like this I think on the other type of disc too, no one else has brought that up before :) So your measurement included the chamfer? On my flat top disc that would be only about 0.5mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's on all the discs but honestly it's tiny but your measurement could be right although I think it's less myself but I haven't tried to measure it. It would next to impossible to accurately measure with my calipers and its so small that you'd never notice on the prop if its even on those discs. My theory for its presence would be to reduce the amount of surface scratching the discs are likely to cause on the soft acyrilic top of the TT which might otherwise happen if the disc didn't have it. Could be wrong of course.

As this thread has strayed dangerously close to getting into Star Wars/Prop territory :))) I'd like to add that as well as the Tannoy Floorstanders I've now rounded my system up with some other components:

The Quad Vena Amp and Rega Mk II dedicated MM Phono stage. The dedicated phono stage is just that and plugs straight into one of the aux inputs on the amp. The Amp itself has many digital inputs including USB a & b so I can link the laptop straight in as well and dedicated Ipod input too (and effectively works as a high quality soundcard for the PC). Also got Coax, optical and a quality bluetooth inbuilt. Headphone jack is also quality. The whole setup is now pretty awesome and I am very happy. I'm about done with buying Hi Fi components for a while now but I'd recommend any of the components I've bought to anyone if they're in the market...

Tannoy | Home

Led Zep II on the vinyl is truly something.

Yeah that auction was a bit mental. I hope no one brought it for a Bowcaster as the discs are definitely not from the stylus brush, but from the sweep arm.
DSC01153.JPGDSC01148.jpg

I was a tad gutted, I was watching this and had my fingers crossed that the price may have been right for me to pick that up for my turntable.
As promised Andy here are some pictures of the one I recently picked up (after being inspired by this very post :) ), and the first record played - Nothing other than the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange :)

DSC_0099.JPG.
DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

DSC01153.JPG

DSC01148.jpg

I spoke to the seller of the auction for the Transcriptors stylus brush when he first posted it and he offered an arrangement for it AND for an as yet unlisted Transcriptors sweep arm package deal. His offered selling amount seemed much too high to me at the time so I declined, but seeing what the stylus brush actually sold for, I think I should have taken him up on it.

Its an absolute beauty and I know you'll be pleased with it.

As for the brush... so long as the buyer is happy then that's all that matters. The winner's bid history definitely indicates this is for a prop.

Price of stylus brush £416 (inc shipping).

Seriously guys, this is getting out of hand...

Transcriptor Michell Stylus Brush | eBay

and another on 24/05

Price of stylus brush £322

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-A-Michell-hydraulic-Transcriptor-Reference-Stylus-Dustbrush-for-turntables-/351400117052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d114433c&nma=true&
si=2Myk2EvF%252BMeZIJMf%252BawPv2xRi%252FU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

All this means the average price of ONE of these currently sits as £348 meaning the cost of a PAIR is £696!!!!

I might sell my pair for £696!!!

Insane

Sorry to necro my old, old, post, but I recently got a PM for some more information relating to HIC knobs. I considered a new post, but as the rest of the information I have on various Michell parts has ben posted here, I thought this would clog the board less. Seeing as responding by PM only would limit the information to me and one other only, I chose to go here.

Also, you get to see my beautiful turntable... again.

Each knob retains its respective position in the two shots.

Left to right:

On-off switch for the Hydraulic Reference TT (annoyingling, I actually have one of these removed from the motor cover, but I cannot find it).
Counter weight for the Sweep Arm used for several Boba parts. Mostly, I have seen these on the Focus One.
Conuter weight for the classic, tall, HR sweep arm.

Top view:
20220816_161730.jpg

Side view:
20220816_161751.jpg

Here are the respective measurements. Measurements were taken with digital calipers, with the exception on the on-off switch height; sorry, guys, but I'm not going to start taking my TT apart for the purpose of this discussion. In the case of the on-off switch, I stood a rule next to the part. In all cases, I rounded down to the nearest tenth.

Width:

On-off switch: 12.9 mm
Focus One sweep: 14.5 mm
Classic HR sweep: 13.1 mm

Height:

On-off switch: 20.0 mm
Focus One sweep: 23.0 mm
Classic HR sweep: 17.4 mm

The base mount for the on-off switch is about 3mm high, which would correlate with the on-off and the focus one weight being approximately the same height.

Paul roctopus , I hope this helps.

Peace.

Andy

Last edited:
intwenothor Andy.
Thank you so much. This is pure gold info.
Obviously the price of Michell stuff is out of reach, especially just for a couple of knobs on Han in Carbonite or the Hoth Scanner. So this info has really helped me get as close to screen accurate as I can within reason.

Cheers

Paul

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back