Prayers & good thoughts needed.

Michelle is getting better.She had her chest tubes removed yesterday ( except for 1) and has been sitting up and actually on her feet a few times now. She was moved from ICU to "Progressive care" (Room 240,Bed 2) last night. Please do not send flowers as she is very afraid to sneeze ;) . She is sharing a room now so please be considerate of the other person if calling.

I haven't logged in here for a few days due to a strained muscle in my shoulder and being looped out on the muscle relaxants, and to see this post and hear what is happening to a fellow members family...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife Nathan. Your initial post made me well up with tears hearing of her situation, and I am releived to hear that she is doing better and getting stronger as each day passes.

I've always looked at and thought of this forum as a second family, and I've always felt a closeness to my real and extended family. So please pass along all of my well wishes for a speedy and full recovery to your wife. You and your wife are a part of both my TDH family, and of my 501st family.

Take care, and get better soon.

Great news! Praises offered for the the progress she's made so far and continued prayers for a FULL and speedy recovery!

We've never met in person, but I can only imagine what you are going through as I don't know what I would do if something like this happened to my wife. I had a scary situation happen on our honeymoon of all times, nothing this serious and this isn't the time to go into details, but I sobed like I don't think I had ever before or since. My heart definately goes out to you from one husband to another!

Nathan - I had not heard of ANY of this !!!! Oh my lord buddy, I'm so sorry to hear all this happened !!!!!!

You're both in my prayers man (y)

-Chris

Michelle is doing well, but isn't home free. The surgeon said that if everything does not heal right, it can still be lethal.
She is off of her oxygen and only has one chest tube still left in. They are going to put some dye in and make sure everything is fine before removing that.
She is scheduled to have the staples in her abdomen removed today. There are 13 of them (of course 13, how lucky are we?) going straight up above her belly button . It's about a 3 inch incision there. She also has about an 8 to 10 inch incision on her left side going around to the center of her back that is healing well, but still tender. The incision for her chest tube(s) is right under her left boob and is a few inches long as well. She also has the "G" tube in through her belly for feeding. So, she has a lot of healing to do.
She is up and walking several times a day and feels so much better to be out of bed. It does take a lot out of her and she is still short of breath. She still has some fluid in her lungs but is working with the Respiratory Therapist to get that taken care of.

Michelle said to tell everyone "Hi" and thank you .
chellerecovering.jpg

s1p, you two are in my prayers. i know things aren't done but, i'm glad to see improvments have been made.

you two keep fighting andwe'll keep you in our thoughts.

Michelle had some tests today that showed everything is healing fine. She still has the staples & the chest tube though.
She started a clear liquid diet today & if that goes well then she moves on to soft food. If that goes well then they remove the chest tube & she gets to come home soon after.
I'm hoping for this weekend.

For those that are unsure what she had done, it's called a "Posterolateral thoracotomy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracotomy

and for those wondering what it looks like, (be warned, very graphic)
1749-7922-1-4-2-l.jpg

That isn't her actual surgery, but that is very similar to what was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes (talking about the photo of the surgery). Glad to hear she's moving in a positive direction....Hope her recovery is speedy...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back