My motorized rangefinder - VIDEO

batninja

Well-Known Hunter
Dude, you have GOT to post info on this!! Parts list, schematic, instructions, whatever! HURRY. I might use this option for Halloween.

That's an awesome job! Can you control the rate of the up/down motion?

What kind of bucket is that?

krillindb

Active Hunter
Hey Jango_Fett_Jr,
I remember you asking questions in my thread and you said you had gotten a servo etc etc. Did you make that with my zip zap tutorial by chance?

BountyHunter185

Active Hunter
That's extremely cool!
It looks like it goes a tad fast but is still really cool.
I would be interested in how exactly you did all this.

Great job. :)

Jango Fett Jr

Well-Known Hunter

krillindb wrote:

Hey Jango_Fett_Jr,
I remember you asking questions in my thread and you said you had gotten a servo etc etc. Did you make that with my zip zap tutorial by chance?
Hey krillindb. Although I was quite inspired by your tutorial, this is actually my own creation, with some help from my friend ;)

I'll post some photos soon!

B

b.fett

Link not working for me, got a message saying remote hosting is not allowed. :(

DarthVader1

Well-Known Hunter
Awesome video and looks terrific!!! That's the speed I like for the RF.

PLEASE!!!...post pics and tutorials here...I need to do the same on my helmet soon!

Robert

Jango Fett Jr

Well-Known Hunter
Here's the only pic I have at the moment with my attempt at a diagram:

The blue dots are screws that go from the outside of the helmet through to the inside. I will cover the heads of the screws with bondo eventually.

The servo I have covered with a piece of foam just to make it more comfortable for me. I made a small aluminum arm which has a small strip of sintra attached to it. This sintra is screwed into the rangefinder stalk. The sintra also has a weak spring attached to another screw just to give it a little help coming back up (the servo isn't too too strong).

I apologize if not all of this makes too much sense right now, but the helmet is still at my friend's workshop so I will take some more detailed photos soon.

This project was more of a personal job just because I wanted to have a motorized rangefinder, but not have to spend too much on a super small servo so the helmet could still fit my head. This took me a while to do, I had to go through about six other designs before coming up with this one, and even then it took a while to get it working. The angles and positions of all the screws and such are just right so it works. I will try my best to describe this in a simple way.

Thanks again for the compliments!

Jango Fett Jr

Well-Known Hunter
The servo I used I do not quite know what kind it was. It appeared to be a regular generic sized servo. I didn't want anything too big, but it was too big to put in my helmet next to my ear, hence why I moved it to the cheek area.

The LEDs I used are just 2 red blinking LEDs connected directly to a battery. I wasn't too concerned with the sequence of them, I just wanted them to blink.