My Lifesize 1:1 R2-D2 - 1st Attempt

Looks fantastic I agree with Muad'Dib weathering would go a long way for overall appearance , but you did a great job plus the price was right . I look forward to any future builds this was a total joy to watch.

Look awesome. It's an inspiration to those of us who would love to build an R2, but can't afford thousands on one. Your build proves you can build a beautiful and cost effective droid.

Thanks guys!

You mentioned "cleaner" and I'm sure you mean in the execution of the build but if you don't mind me saying, I think weathering of this one would go a LONG way in it's overall appearance.
It would definitely cover up some of the aspects you're less fond of. Mis-cuts, not so straight detailing, and other small goofs be hidden well behind a layer of dirt and oil build up. The panel lines are a bit lost in the main body with it so "new".

Just a suggesty but a great success either way on a first try! (y)

Funny thing was I had planned on making this a battle damaged R2 or a Dagobah one, but it actually turned out a bit better than I expected! I do agree though, weathering would look good. I think I'll wait to see if I can sell this one first before I mess with weathering. And by cleaner I do mean I want some nicer parts; metal projectors and vents, etc. The parts on this one were just resin and real rough.

That looks great, just goes to show you there are more than one way to do a project and on any budget too.
I finished my artoo that i have been building for years last summer and I realized if you make the time you can achive outstanding results if you are determined enough.
mine is made completely scratch built from timber and perspex with the vents on the front being the only bought resin parts. i'm sure its the cheapest artoo build on the planet with nearly everything made with junk off cuts from where i work (i'm a carpenter) heres a pic dh-scratch-artoo.jpg

Outstanding work! Sometimes less is most certainly more, and in this case you did an awesome job within budget. I can easily see this on display at the local comic book shop for everyone to enjoy ! kudos !

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back