My finished Antrock helmet...almost. Big pix.

jrnymanprotector

Well-Known Hunter
helmet looks killer man, I don't know what the fuss was all about. Looks maybe a bit too, uh, cookie-cutter? Very crisp, clean and bright. It doesn't have that real-world grunge feel. But I know you'll do it justice in the end. Just beat the hell out of it with misting, dusting and small scratches ;)

Looking better than my latest attempt,

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

jeezycreezy

Active Hunter
I was having one of those What-The-HELL-Have-I-Gotten-Myself-In-To??? moments yesterday.

You know, the kind of day where the stark realization that you've only scratched the surface of your costume sinks in. That you have a long road ahead of you. That what you've accomplished so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

The kind of day that you look back on with a lot of cliches. :lol:

So thanks to all who've taken the time to post here and have put me back on track. You all rock! :D

Phil, all the fuss was eliminated when I found the cheap paint sprayer. Also, this helmet is forgiving and that helps. I've screwed a few things up here and there and the helmet looks so beat up that any blemishes you have from a fixed up accident look intentional.

Now, if anyone can give me dusting and misting tips I'd sure appreciate it. I've experimented with a few things (on containers and things, not on the actual helmet) that end up looking like I sprayed paint on them which isn't the effect I'm trying to achieve.

Cheers!
TJ

Defiler

Active Hunter
You can mist a mix of black and grey from a distance for weathering. I also use pastel powder for weathering all my scale models and it will work for the helmet too but remember to use a flat clear coat at the end so that the powder stays.
Hope this helps. :)

P.S. You can practice doing all this first to be sure of what you are doing before doing it on the actual helmet.

jeezycreezy

Active Hunter
Cool, thanks! That helps a lot. :)

Can you recommend a particular flat clear coat? I used one -- I don't remember what it was called -- when I converted a Kenner E11 blaster and it looked kind of spotty. No biggie for a blaster, but not cool for a Boba Fett helmet.

Cheers!
TJ

Defiler

Active Hunter
Testor's has a dull clear coat, but I have not used it.

jeezycreezy

Active Hunter

micke wrote:

Great paintjob, man:) Keep up the great work!
-Mikael
Oh wow, thanks! :)

While I appreciate positive feedback from anyone, it's always great to get such comments from someone who's done such an amazing job himself. :cheers

So thanks! :)

Cheers!
TJ

Lynn TXP 0369

Well-Known Hunter

jeezycreezy wrote:

Now, if anyone can give me dusting and misting tips I'd sure appreciate it. I've experimented with a few things (on containers and things, not on the actual helmet) that end up looking like I sprayed paint on them which isn't the effect I'm trying to achieve.
Cheers!
TJ
Still a great looking helmet!!

When you "mist" your objective is to "just" tint the main color(s) to lighten or darken them.

I use flat black and spray it about 8-12" or more, to just darken things up a bit. If you look at the helmet and the armor especially, you can tell it was misted black to darken things up a bit.
Lynn

Bobo

Active Hunter
Two words.....Bad-F%#king-Ass.....errr...make that 3 words ;)

Bobo

[edit] apparently the "@" symbol made the sentence into a mailto: link :lol: [/edit]