My armor progress

Buckeye 01

Active Hunter
Well I have started the final phase of my rig (y). My BM armor is coming along nicely. Incase I haven't mentioned how nice Darren's armor is, let me take this opportunity to say it is top notch! It is ready to be painted right out of the gate! I did use Lee's color list, and Superjedi's fantastic idea for laying down the color (makeup sponges). It really added a nice oxidized look with a minor amount of texture (thanks SJ!!). I also need to thank Evan for his superb stencils. It really streamlined the whole process. I simply printed them, cut what I needed, and traced them on with carbon paper. I will say the zinc chromate is difficult to paint with. You need multiple coats for complete coverage. Definition of some scratches are kind of bloby due to this problem. If I had it to do over again, I would use an enamel instead of the acrylic. Of course this is all topical, and there is no wash on it. As always, please don't sugar coat your responses. If it sucks, please tell me so I can make the changes now before I clear it. Enough of me yappin.....on with the pics!

Here it is straight out of the box.
163084963.jpg

The completed right breast.
166888924.jpg

Completed collar.
166888919.jpg

The diamond is also complete, but there isn't a whole lot to show. I should have the left breast completed in a day or so. Please come back for more updates in the very near future. Fire away y'all! :lol:

Buckeye, lookin' great!
Glad I actually came up with a useful tip for somebody. :D It really is a subtle effect, but I like it!

Whats up Buckeye!!! The armor is well worth the money. My set came in today and I was blown away by it. I have a lot of painting to do. A little sneak peak of what I have.

6B40AA9A-E8C0-A400-37A5A1860459AF75.jpg

What did you use for your yellow. RS said he used Testors Yellow Zinc Chromate... is that the same color as the Testors Zinc Chromate, which is yellow? You said you wish you had done enamel. Why precisely?

Look for a similar thread at the end of next week for progress on my ROTJ armor.8)

kbrosseau said:
What did you use for your yellow. RS said he used Testors Yellow Zinc Chromate... is that the same color as the Testors Zinc Chromate, which is yellow? You said you wish you had done enamel. Why precisely?

Look for a similar thread at the end of next week for progress on my ROTJ armor.8)

I am using the #4851 Testors Yellow Zinc Chromate as Lee suggested. The single pass coverage is the issue. The water based acrylic is much 'thinner' than the enamel paint. To achieve the correct color and coverage, I am applying 2-3 coats. I spent 4+ hours on the left breast damage in 2 spots. That may be the analness in me though :lol:. The enamel silver goes on correctly with the first pass. The left breast is almost complete, so I should have an update tonight or early tomorrow morning. Thanks for all of the kind comments guys, it makes me feel much better about my progress.

You didnt try out the lights first before you painted :p ?
Dude, good luck. Hope it does fit.
It is looking great though. You are doing an awesome job.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back