My 3rd (and likely final) Life-size 1:1 Han Solo in Carbonite

So this isn't a "Hero" build.... But a "Legendary Hero" build sounds about right

You might as well be speaking Greek as I don’t know what either of those mean. I’m just not versed in the nuances of the history of these different prop versions. This is just a “I’m doing what I like build”.

You might as well be speaking Greek as I don’t know what either of those mean. I’m just not versed in the nuances of the history of these different prop versions. This is just a “I’m doing what I like build”.
LOL. Fair enough. I was basically commending you for the excellent work. You've gone above and beyond with this project.

So I couldn’t leave well enough alone, after letting the cabinet sit overnight I just wasn’t 100% on the color. It was close, but I wanted to try something else. So I went with the Rustoleum Gloss Dark Gray. I’ve used something similar on previous builds, and it does the job.

BC583233-D81F-4832-A004-D5F6B90C6387.jpeg

After a several month hiatus due to an extensive home remodel, work, and life in general, I'm glad to be working on this again. Started work on the side panels with a coat of aluminum.......

IMG_6563.JPG

Then I used some thin sintra / styrene sheets, cut out squares, sprayed them metallic silver, and used those as inlay pieces. It gives it a nice contrast.

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6686.JPG

I'm printing some of the greeblies myself, but for some I'm sourcing them from existing materials. For the ring greeblies I am using some 3/4" CPVC pipe. I used my mini saw and cut out several pieces, then hit them with the same metallic silver.

IMG_6685.JPG

Here's how the panels look with the inlay pieces in and the first wave of greeblies. I'm not going for screen accuracy, so these won't be exact. I also opted not to inlay the larger square on the left side of each panel.

IMG_6794.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG

At any rate, it's coming together.............

Heading into the home stretch, worked on the panels yesterday and today. I had some left over white acrylic and cut several pieces for the translucent inlay details.

IMG_6854.JPG

It's not pretty on the inside, but it works. I'm going with some budget electronics on this, so not at all screen accurate. I'm also adding some other LEDs, a bit of my own personal preferences. For the main panel I went with a breathing green LED.

IMG_6863.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

I also found some audio online and mixed a sound file for this module I have. I re-wired this to a push button on the panel and mounted it underneath, adds a little extra to the project.

IMG_6874.JPG

Got all the panels mounted and ran all the wiring for the LEDs, pretty happy with how it's coming along. I still have some greeblies to add, some alien symbols to put on, still need to add some detail with black acrylic paint to the front panel, and a few other minor touches.

I added a quick video below............

IMG_6870.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I think I'm going to call this done for now, added some more greeblies and symbols to the side panels. I really love how this came out. I've never seen anyone do anything to simulate something like this with the internal mechanisms, but I think it looks great. Now just have to move him inside and mount to the wall!

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_6900.JPG

IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6901.JPG

Hi there azheat01 love the build! I'm currently working on a build and was wondering how you got the green LED behind the translucent window on the hero panel to stay in the right place? I think it seems to work best if it's not quite touching the window itself. Appreciate any tips!

Thanks.

Hi there azheat01 love the build! I'm currently working on a build and was wondering how you got the green LED behind the translucent window on the hero panel to stay in the right place? I think it seems to work best if it's not quite touching the window itself. Appreciate any tips!

Thanks.

Hey there. I just used some foam board and made a strip, put a hole in it for the LED, and then mounted it back off the panel by building the ends up with more foam strip pieces. I should have taken a photo, but never did.

Hey there. I just used some foam board and made a strip, put a hole in it for the LED, and then mounted it back off the panel by building the ends up with more foam strip pieces. I should have taken a photo, but never did.
Cool, thanks for clarifying. I'll give that a go!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back