MOW gloves

spicy fett

Active Hunter
Hey so I was reading that MOW gloves are not acceptable for the 501st and I was wondering why exactly that is and also can you mod them to make them 501st approved?

spicy fett
I have a set of MOW's Gloves I bought them early on during my build - Jan of 2020. So I wasn't as wise in all things Fett back then. (And I STILL have plenty to learn!) They are a decent piece and well made glove - so quality is NOT the issue. See comparison below.

MOW vs 501st  - ROTJ Gloves.jpg

But there are two things wrong with them. In my eyes those things are:
1) Glove is just too light of a color - attempting to dye them would prove difficult as there'd be alot of work you have to do to make that happen. (Not cost effective to try and alter)
2) Back side of the glove, which is NOT shown on MoW's website (but is described), is a velcro closure - but NO button as pictured in the 501st variant. You may be able to make it so it'd have the button, but much like trying to dye them.....probably NOT cost effective. And more trouble than it's worth.

For me, since I wasn't going for 501st approval it wasn't a huge deal for me. In fact, just this week I hit up Mike M. and paid for a set of his ROTJ Gloves. Which I've been led to believe ARE 501st compliant - assuming you can weather them correctly.

Thanks,
-Iron

Thanks buddy! Well I had already got the MOW gloves and I really like them I had just seen that they might not be 501st approved so it is a bit of a bummer but I’m going to roll with them I guess until I can upgrade sooner or later

So here’s the CRL:

Gloves
  • Medium grey gloves with white cuffs and white quilted patches on the tops of the fingers and back of hands, matching visual references.
  • Padding on the back of the right glove is longer than the left.
  • Gloves are weathered to match visual references.
OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Gloves are White Military Dress Gloves (or replicas), dyed medium grey, with the button on the inner wrist.
  • Padding on gloves is made of a shiny cotton/polyester looking material, the same that is used to make the neck-seal and the glove padding, sewn onto the gloves.

It reads that the white padding doesn’t match visual references. It almost looks that the stitching create a lifted seem which you don’t see compared to the references.

spicy fett
Right on! I meant to also show what the MoW ones look like from the back, for those who haven't seen....
MoW ROTJ Gloves.jpg

Again not a huge deal for me, but I want to get close to screen accurate as possible. And yes, I'm aware that there is a bit too much black on the right hand of my glove. What can I say? My Airbrush suffered a clog and then all of a sudden, started shooting paint out. (#Grrrrrrrr) Not my finest moment, but since I was to be holding an EE-3 during my event it wouldn't have shown anyways. Plus....I'm upgrading these gloves to the Mike M variant. This could potentially wash out too.

Thanks,
-Iron

BudaFett
....and now that I re-read the CRL and look at my reference pics that makes sense. Also seeing the index finger on both gloves are incorrect.

Thanks,
-Iron

The biggest “issue” is that MOW doesn’t hand stitch his gloves it seems. While Mike M. Clothears and others use actual parade gloves with hand stitched white material.
Agreed. The seams on the pad edges are definitely the biggest error on the MOW gloves. And they also don't have proper coverage on the fingers. It would be close to impossible to modify them. But given their price is significantly under other gloves, they're a decent budget option.

Clothears actually does not use white material on their gloves. They've been using a light grey that is the same as the flak vest color. However, I recently got them to do mine with white material. I also got them to do the black/dark stitching, which they don't normally do. In fact, nobody does the black stitching that I know of. So you'll have to ask. They are very willing to work with you.

I also have Clothear gloves. Their padding material really looks like the real deal and matches the same fabric as the neck seal/vest.

Having to put them together is a pain.

Agreed. The seams on the pad edges are definitely the biggest error on the MOW gloves. And they also don't have proper coverage on the fingers. It would be close to impossible to modify them. But given their price is significantly under other gloves, they're a decent budget option.

Clothears actually does not use white material on their gloves. They've been using a light grey that is the same as the flak vest color. However, I recently got them to do mine with white material. I also got them to do the black/dark stitching, which they don't normally do. In fact, nobody does the black stitching that I know of. So you'll have to ask. They are very willing to work with you.
i use the "greyish" tackle twill as well for my gloves, and i use a natural cotton thread for the top stitching on the pads, so they take color when dyed, giving them the dark grey/black appearance of the originals.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back