Modifying Rubies Blasters

FettFanatic

Active Hunter
I have an idea for modifying the Rubies Jango blasters. I have searched through the forum, and I don't think my idea has been documented here before. Therefore, I have a few questions that I want to ask everyone.

First I am going to just cut off the barrels completely. They are totally inaccurate. That will leave me with the plastic handles which aren't too bad as far s size and shape go. As they are the handles will still need some work. I am thinking about filling the various portions of the handles with some material like resin. This will give it some weight and allow me to sand down and reshape some areas. I am also going to fill the trigger so that I can reshape it as well. I know. I know. It will be alot of work, but what else do I have to do. :lol: What do you think would be a good material to use to fill the handles and trigger?

Next I am going to use wizardofflight's templates to turn some barrels out of 3 seperate pieces of aluminium that will all fit together. I will then attach the barrels to the finished handles, paint the handles the appropirate colors, and then enjoy the new Jango blaster goodness hopefully. :lol: What do you think of this plan. Is it totally foolish to try this? I think it would save me some moolah versus buying MRs or getting the whole pistol custom made, and it will make tha blasters more personal since I will be making them.

Go for it dude!
I would love to watch the progress on this one.

One thing I cant tell from the pics of the Rubies' Blasters is how thick the grips are. My suspicion is they might be a tad thin.

Good luck with it.

The handles are fairly thick in my opinion. I actually was worried that they would be thicker than the MRs.

I thought about resin blaster, but I just don't like how easy they are to break if you accidentally drop them. This way the resin will be inside the plastic shell. Also, I like the look of real metal barrels.

Yeah I have access to a milling machine with both the vertical and horizontal milling capabilities. I am going to buy a mix of aluminum tubing and rod to make all the parts. I may come out of this with a few less fingers, but oh well.

I would go and give it a try, with the exception of modifying the trigger! I think what's great about this route is that you'll be able to get fairly close in look with a machined aluminum barrel with a brass inner sleeve and here's the icing on the cake...

WORKING BLASTERS! SAWEET!8)

Any additional effects such as these, Voice Amp, Working Range Finder, Working LED's... It all adds to the realism of the costume and more of a crowd pleasure at events and it's flat out more fun!

Get Er' Done!

:cheers

I filled in and repainted the Rubies blasters and they look good. The kids love that I left the electronics in them so I can get blaster sounds. The blasters are such an unimportant part of the costume the I did not want to spent the time or effort re-doing them. I made my own custom trigger area so I can spin the gun and holster it like he did in the movie.

I plan on adding a piece to the trigger guard as well so that I will be able to spin one pistol. GBH I was just planning on filling up the halves of the trigger so that I could reshape it a little to make the trigger assembly look a little rounder.

I don't know about keeping the sound effects. I like the idea, but the weight of the barrels is going to have to be compensated for in the handles. If it isn't then they would be hard to spin I would think. Maybe I could put a rechargeable battery pack in the handle with the recharge port coming out of the very bottom piece of the handle so that it wouldn't be noticeable. The batteries along with the speaker plus a little resin filler around everything to hold it in place might just be enough weight to offset the aluminium barrels.

Does anyone have an idea of what type of resin or other product to use to fill in the handles that won't have components in them?

The speakers are also on the end of the barrel. So you would have to relocate the speakers or put them inside your new barrel, which would make it so you would have to have the end bulb piece the same size of the speaker, unless you put a different speaker in them, which is defiantly not out of the question. I like your idea, it's a lot of work, but it sounds like a fun project you've got your sites set on. Have fun! The batteries are in the barrel as well.

I am going to put the speaker inside the handle just behind the cutout if that makes any sense. I will drill a few small holes through the cutout to let the sound out. They shouldn't be seen due to their location. I am looking for a good rechargeable battery pack that I can fit in the handle as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back