Masking Tape

Jedi Bob

Well-Known Hunter
What type of masking tape is being used for stuff like the strips on the JP? I have been using a blue masking tape and it has been pulling paint off as it is being removed.

M

MLax

that happened to me. i use the blue painters tape and it would pull off paint. I found that would happen when the paint didnt dry enough, also if i put on a coating without letting the layer below it fully dry.

Fetthunter

Well-Known Hunter
Try using Manco "Perfect Release" masking tape. It's purple and even LESS sticky than blue "clean release" painter's tape. They sell it at Wal-mart, Lowe's, and Home Depot. :)

mgr

Active Hunter
The paint has to cure. If you read the back of the can it should give you a full cure time. I have found that different manufacturers have different cure and recoat times.(I learned it the hard way:D)

asok

Well-Known Hunter
On the blue tape don't let is stay on for more than 24 hours. I have gotten away with 48 hours but it left some of the sticky stuff. Now I just have to touch up what the tape took off.

GuinnessNM

Active Hunter
I agree that the clean release is the way to go.. I was having problems using the blue stuff when I started painting as well.. I have seen the clean release in both the purple and the off-white colors.. The only problem that I have had with it is sometimes it does not stick well enough.

Erik

bobagoat

Well-Known Hunter
another trick i learned was to take the tape and dab it on your forehead a bit. the oils will weaken the adhesive enough so that it will mask the area off and not adhere to the paint. you can also use a t-shirt as well to dab on.

LisaFett

Active Hunter
You can also heat up the tape a LITTLE bit with a hairdryer, and that will make it come off without lifting the paint. Useful for those times you forget to remove the tape within the time limit.

phantom viper

Active Hunter
I have herd that electrical tape works well. I have used it twice on a round piece I painted and it worked perfectly. No peeling or bleeding. But I have never tried it on a flat piece before. Also You should take the tape off before it dries so it can't peel.