Thanks guys! I'm starting the top of it now- I'll have more pics later on. Once I get everything filled in I'll coat it with spackling paste and sand it and then coat it with a clear acrylic before painting.
The goal of this project is complete a decent (as in presentable but hardly accurate) Fett costume by Halloween and not spend any money doing it!
I looked around in my garage and I had some left over sintra sheet from building my MIB blasters, some brown vinyl, a flight suit (unfortunately tan) and a fair amount of cardboard and foam. So I figured what the heck, why not? I enjoy a challenge.....
I'll be posting on a regular basis as this progresses.
Thanks for the kind words! I should be able to finish the dome and get started on the ears today. I can only work on it when my son is taking a nap or after he's gone to bed. It's coming together really fast- I'd bet a helmet could be completed in less than a day if you weren't interrupted. The cardboard I'm using is kind of like a thick posterboard- about 1/16 inch thick. The helmet is suprisingly stiff and strong- that's cellulose fiber for you!
The goal of this whole project is to show that it should be possible for anyone to make a Fett costume with a minimum of tools and materials (and not be financially devastated if it gets damaged by some drunk idiot on Halloween.)
I finished filling in the dome and I cut the visor opening today. I still need to put the slots in the back and make the ears- those will be a challenge to do in cardboard but I'm hoping I can pull it off. I haven't decided what to do about the rangefinder stalk- I might try sandwiching cardboard around some music wire to strengthen it. We'll see....
Oh yeah- it fits perfect! It's amazing how big it is (and it's a good thing as I have a big melon.)