Looking for Advice on a ROTJ Helmet

Emerald Trooper

New Hunter
Hi Guys. My name is Dave and Im from Ireland. Im also the events officer for the 501st Ireland Garrison.

I've been researching the forum for months now and Im about to put together a work in progress over the coming days. I just have one quick question for all you experts. Im building the ROTJ version of Boba Fett. With regard to the Rafalfett stencils for the helmet and armor, would you guys feel that these stencils are the most accurate stencils you can get? In my opinion they are. I followed them as close as I could free hand using the layering technique and Ive been pulled up on the paint job recently by the GML of the 501st (I recently sent my submissions photos in). They dont match the CRL photos. Would love to hear your comments/advice. Throughout my build I was heavily influence by Deathproof, Rafalfett, Jayvee and Terminal Fettler (for the Jetpack). The lid is a Bobamaker lid
Lid 1.jpg
Lid 2.jpg
Lid 3.jpg
Lid 4.jpg

The CRL's are basically guidelines, but nothing beats actual experience with the costume, ask your GML if he's consulted with the BHG staff for expertise. Some of your details are a little off, but no one has done a 100% perfect re-creation of the original (i don't think Sandy Dhuyvetter could even paint it exactly the same). You got a lot more right than you got wrong with your paint, and i've seen far worse get accepted. As both a former GML and XO of the BHG I strongly encourage other GML's to make full use of the knowledge of the detachments when making a decision, rather than just going by the CRL, in cases where they have little or no experience with a costume.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate that post. I got some CRL photos of the lid sent to me after the submission and I can see that there is damage on areas of the CRL photos that are not on the Rafalfett stencils. I did so much research on the forum before I started painting that I felt in my own very humble opinion that the Rafalfett stencils were the definitive guide to go by. With regard to the colours on the lid. I didnt deviate from a single colour on the Humbrol paint by numbers thread and yet I was told that the kill stripes were the wrong colour and that they should be more red. Maybe its the lighting from the photos but the colour used was Humrol Orange 82 which is the same colour everyone uses that airbrushes with Humbrol paints. I've been told that I may need to repaint the enitre lid.

With regard to my own GML, he has advised that he went to the BHG for advice/feedback on the costume (There wouldnt be many Boba Fetts in Ireland so my GML wouldnt be as familiar as the guys at the BHG). So the feedback coming from my GML is actually coming from the BHG.

Last edited:
if you haven't done so yet, take these helmet photos and post a them on thebhg.net, ask for feedback.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back