Legal making a Fan game?

slaur3n

New Hunter
Hello!!

I dont really know where I should ask this question, but I joined here and thought I would give it a try.

We are two indie game devs that always wanted to make a fan game set in the Star Wars universe, but we dont know if it is legal to do so. So im just asking around, hoping someone can help :)

Fan game, non profit, but share it with everyone online.

If you use anything that looks like it came from star wars Disney will be all over you. Your best bet is to use your imagination rather than anything that could be construed as being from the SW universe.

if you're giving the game away for free they can't really come after you for anything; at worst they'll tell you to stop, at best they buy the game from you.

If it 's non-profit, they won't be able to press you for legal charges right off the bat. They may send you a cease and desist letter at which point you'd have to stop or change the game to a point it isn't Star Wars anymore. That being said, they may encourage you too. It depends on the company.

The 1313 game got cancelled when LucasArts shut down and people have speculated that it may have been due to clashing with the upcoming Boba movie's Disney canon. But that game was an official LucasArts production, it's hard to tell how they'd react to a fan creation. I remember years ago when Cloverfield came out and someone was making a monster survival game based off it. Paramount got in touch with the developers and told them to keep up the good work.

Thanks for feedback :) anyone know a email or something I should try to get more specific info?

Last edited by a moderator:
teser.jpg
The game will be made for PC, if it even will be made :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back