Leave it to the pros!!

Krewkid82

Active Hunter
After buying everything on the list of many pieces and parts, buying all of the paint and trying to handle this daunting task by myself I'm coming to the realization that this build might have been over my skill set..I guess after I finish this thing up maybe next year I'll actually save and spend more money for legit artist to cut and paint all of the armour instead of me. Heck I might even reach out to Boba maker for full suit. I see why buying cheap and expecting art is not the way to go....

That decision is yours, and by all means if that’s what you want to do - then “it’s your money”, but this community is amazing. I recommend putting some images of your build up, and let others chime in with constructive criticism and advice.

You might be surprised how well you’ve done!

Thanks boochman! I really appreciate that. I haven't painted everything yet. I painted the helmet so far and it definitely won't pass as accurate. I just wish I would've sent everything off for painting.

Attachments

• 20200209_211706.jpg
    20200209_211706.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 200
Of course you start with the one thing I know nothing about...hahahahaha!

In all seriousness - I can’t provide too much input on the lid (I didn’t paint mine), but I’ve seen suggestions from others that say to start with research. What are the specific paints to use, what are the layers, what is the technique, etc. plenty of helmet paint ups on here to educate yourself with.

Take your time and don’t rush ANYTHING. A big part of builds is patience!

The damage on the lid might be in the right locations, but doesn’t necessarily replicate the specific colored damage on the lid. Also, the base color green looks the same for the cheeks and the dome - again I’m no expert, but I don’t believe they are supposed to match...

It’s a great first attempt and I completely understand feeling disheartened. Fett is a complex and fiddly kit to assemble. I have massive respect for anyone that even makes an attempt at the helmet. I personally did not paint my helmet, Daz is doing it for me. I was too afraid to try and fail.

I second Boochmans advice. The build threads and accumulated knowledge here are priceless. Take your time with the pieces of kits until you are happy with them. Most importantly enjoy the journey. :)

FAFDB348-2F43-4FF8-B1E1-A78F06F43D3B.jpeg

This is my second attempt at ROTJ. Still loads to do and correct. Don’t be disheartened as I was. I put it all on the back burner for ages as I hated my first go. Only recently got back into doing again.

7A5E54FC-D4A1-42A0-9439-E45389057770.jpeg

This was my first attempt from 2 years ago. The right tools, lots of patience makes a difference. Also study the reference a lot. The build threads here are fantastic too.

Agreed. Keep at it man. If you need more help, follow the RealSuperJedi and MinuteFett on Instagram (though they have threads here as well). They generally post good step by step photos of the process they use to paint their buckets. Can learn a lot!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back