Laser-Cut Wooden Boba Fett Helmet

LostSawmill

New Hunter
I've been working on this project for a few years. It was the first thing I wanted to make when I bought a laser cutter. Some of the geometry required a lot of trial and error redesigning, and so I've slowly been chipping away at the project, every six months or so returning to it to try and fix the cheek geometry, or design the rangefinder. I finally sat down a few weeks ago and finished off the design. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The hand-stitched aesthetic was initially just a practical way of joining the wooden tiles, but I think it gives a feudal Japanese feel to the piece which I like.
BobaFett-Primary.png
BobaFett-45.png

I also tried a version where I used a variety of different timber stains to add some colour to the wood.
BobaFett-Wearing.png

What a true labor of love man.. I definitely agree with your assessment of the feudal Japanese feel. Now get crackin on the armor!

What a true labor of love man.. I definitely agree with your assessment of the feudal Japanese feel. Now get crackin on the armor!
Yeah. I've been thinking about how to tackle the rest of the costume. Something like lamellar armour with discrete plate armour pieces that are the same shape and spacing as the regular Boba Fett costume is what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm kind of stuck in two minds as to if I should lean more heavily into the samurai style, or if I should go for a more screen accurate, but made from hand-stitched wood feel. It's hard to justify a jet-pack and blaster in the feudal Japanese style.

It does look great! I really dig the clean version.
Cheers. I agree. There's something that works really nicely with the plain timber and the cotton stitching. I would really like to try a few different versions with coloured thread and alternate colour schemes to see how that changes the overall look of the piece.

No. I've got a much bigger setup. It's a 100W laser with a work area of around 1300x900mm. However, there's nothing so complicated that it couldn't be made with a Glowforge. It's just 3mm plywood which I think the Glowforge wouldn't have an issue with.
Are you able to cut or engrave metal, with your Lazer setup?

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back