Karen Traviss quits Star Wars

Honestly I like how she describes Mando culture. It reminds me of the days when a deal is a deal. I have been known to spout a few phrases in Mando especially when it is impolite to say a curse word. Most people write it off a military speak or Gruntenese.

Okay I have put a lot of thought into this.

She never even came close to making them klingons. In that respect all she did was build on the common thread of noble warrior that so may other authors have used. This Idea speaks to Men (and some women) on a primal level. She learned that story by spending time with people who live that life style, and these people are not fictional nor do they live fictional lives these are the men and women of the armed forces. It is this authentic voice that makes her books so engaging. How many forum members here are members of the armed forces, or civil servents who serve and protect? Im ranting now I need to stay on subject.

Issue two.
Not to open a can of worms but really the Issue here is George Lucas. I have nothing but respect for the man. That being said I think that he is going to far. This thing with the mandolorians is just the tip of the iceburg. Not to contest his rights to his intilectual property but when is enough enough. His property has no value if the fans dont buy into it. How many times will he change his story before we start to lose intrest. To this end how could he feel it would be less profitable to trash what is likely to be the ricest and widely accepted non canon back story for what ever it is that his ego cooked up?

Thats my two cents, and that is prolly all it is worth.

There's always going to be a wierder fringe to any hobby - Star Trek fans who speak Klingon, Star Wars fans who speak Mando, Role play gamers that take their characters too far, Lord Of The Rings fans who read Tolkien and learn Elvish. Odd? perhaps. Going to far? more then likely.
It's hardly the fault of Karen Traviss that some (and I do mean some) of her readers find that they enjoy reading her work and want to learn the language of the characters she created.
And yes, some have and will take it further but it's their obsession and not the fault of a writer who is simply telling a story. By adding the Mando language to her stories Karen simply added another layer to the characters, made them more 3-dimensional; it wasn't intended to start "the Cult Of Mando".
Many writers who use the occasional fictional word or sentence in their work will write it down to ensure it can be used again, this leads to a growing lexicon they can then reuse and expand upon at any point in future stories. It's not intended to be used as a day to day language, although some will always try.

Can I speak a few words? Yes, as it happens I can - I use it (rarely) when dressed in my Mando whilst trooping, purely to sound more exotic and other-worldly. Do I have whole conversations in Mando'a or talk to Joe Public in a language they don't understand? No, for me it's a prop, the words little more then a script used for a bit of acting. Nothing more.

Regardless of weither you hate it, dislike the people who speak it, you use it as a prop, or even claim to live by the fictional rules the writer created; it's hardly the fault of Karen Traviss.

IF her stories didn't contain the occasion word, sentence or phrase in a fictional language, would you read them? If one or two people didn't take the fictional culture too far (and be honest it really is only one or two) would you have a problem with Karen's use of said fictional language? If the language hadn't been closely contected to something you costume and do, would you be so upset by the actions of a fringe few?

What I'm trying to say is that dislike Karen's stories because you don't like the way she writes. Don't read them because you don't like the characters. Avoid them because you only enjoy those things directly taken from George Lucas's imagination - the films only. But don't blame a writer for the actions of the odd person who reads her work.

Her writing for Star Wars has been more mature, more exciting and more interesting then many (if not all) previous Star Wars authors. Her characters more rounded and three dimensional - in other words more real, then almost all that have gone before. Enjoy THAT, enjoy the universe she has helped flesh out that tiny bit more. Ignore the wierder fringe people.
I've read her other works, her Gears Of War novels and her own original novels and whilst I'll miss her Star Wars work, I'll still purchase her other stories.

I find it hilarious that a group of people, that spend thousands of dollars on a costume, have the arrogance to put someone else down because they went a step farther.

This is actually surprising to me. Because just buying a helmet or perusing the site for information, is way too far for most people. The fact that some people make a statement like 'seeing people at conventions that take it way too far' is amazing. You realize your at a convention? Already taking it way too far for the average person.

So I guess im curious. Do some of you make comments to your friends and say 'Yah, im selling this armour to these total losers that buy this stuff on the dented helmet. '

Because if so, let me know, so I can be sure to avoid you.

On the subject of Karens Work, I wanst sure I liked it at first. But it grew on me fast. I found myself more invested in the characters. While I found myself not caring so much about the language lessons, perhaps it does contribute. Im not sure.

Ill very much miss reading her work. Im not sure ill read another theme just because she writes it.

This thread is too bad really, on multiple fronts.

I find it hilarious that a group of people, that spend thousands of dollars on a costume, have the arrogance to put someone else down because they went a step farther.

I see your point and I actually agree. In a way that people want to add something to the Boba Fett fandom, that in itself is great!!

But to say going a step further with the language then the average Fett costumer that is mostly interested in just how detailed the costume is... I don' t know.

people will hang me for this, but I saw a pre-study once, of a painting done by van Gogh " the potato eaters"... Now the painting itself is a collection of " characters" rather then humans or persons. The pre-study however contains attempts at painting these faces as if they were real... And I tell you they were lame... I know loads of people that would do that much and much better.

Now if I see a Van Gogh with his... style... I always think... He went and did this, which was great and new at the time, let alone bold... but I always think... He wasn' t a very good drawer or a painter and so he did...this...

I think that every single artist, in whatever form of art or expression... let it be painting or music... should have some talent and hone his/her skills and master a variety of techniques before they are even qualified to do " their own style".

Without attacking or looking down upon people... I think alot of people engulf themselves within the "mandalorian stuff" and do " their own style" without having been far and wide to see what's... out there... what Fett is like, inside and outside. In the movies backstage etc.

So in that case I agree with the " klingon" statement which is also very common within " jedi" or " fantasy events"..

In case of jedi: grab a morning gown and hasbro saber and tada!! Qlucky Wokklie Okki Jedi Master is born!!!

In case of the fantasy events: Grab a plastic sword and a halloween black cape thingy and tada!! Elven King Ne' okBlakwaka Is here to Defeat Sauron!!!

That people are able to experience something they admire like this is incredible, and these people should go about whatever it is they want to do, bless ' m.

But I think that alot of people here, from TDH, who did a Fett costume they spend years on perfecting (which is indeed rather geeky) look a little strange at people buying a Rubies and painting it yellow with stripes, giving it names, speaking a language... while their costume is something you wouldn' t let your son wear on halloween.

However, they enjoy the Fett ride and have expanded it for alot of people.

My point is: the language isn ' t perse a step further and I believe 2 worlds of fandoms have collided here... which is only an enrichment for TDH.

Ooooooh! Look out! I'm a crazed fan! I'm a super nerd! Flee! Flee for your lives!!!!!

Heh. I dig Karen Traviss, more than just for her SW writing, though I totally dig that too. She's obviously spent time with people in the military, getting to know them, learning from their experiences. Her "voice", as it were, in the Republic Commando books, and as well as the Legacy of the Force books, is authentic. I really like authors who go beyond putting words on a page, and actually try to understand the people they write about.

I think that's why she inspires such avid loyalty when it comes to the world/people she created.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back