Gloves Jango Fett glove sources - retail comparison

Azrok

Active Hunter
Hi, here's a comparison of some common retail-available gloves used for Jango Fett costumes.

The brands below are Merona, Fownes Brothers, and Fratelli Orsini. Photographed in different lighting, followed by specs.

Jango_gloves_outdoor_sunlight_no_flash_zps955bd831.jpg

Notes
- length: the gloves in the photos are a mix of sizes. Sure, there's a little variance for sizing, but more important is that first and third brands shown are standard length (called 2-button), and the middle one is long (called 4-button).

- tab thingys: the little tabs at the wrist of some of the gloves in the photos assist in hanging the gloves on store racks and are intended to be removed after purchase (or finally completing one's Jango costume, ahem...)

- availability: My experience has been that sellers' stocks of these gloves can be seasonal, most noticeable in limited of the larger sizes. As all the gloves shown below are womens categories, the larger sizes are thus the ones many guys would wear.

- cost: may depend on seasonality. Amazon Prime membership eliminates U.S. shipping costs on some of the offerings. Anyway, seems to be USD$18-$20 for the Merona, USD$38 or so for the Fownes, and USD$54 for the Fratelli Orsini.

- sizing: There are many sites with simple guides for how to measure your hand for glove sizing. I think I've even seen some info here on TDH, and there are also videos on YouTube. Not guides give you the same results, so I recommend measuring your hand(s) more than once, checking more than one guide to make a decision you're comfortable with. Here are a few links to some guides: Glove Sizing Chart - Leather Gloves Online and Measuring your Hand for Gloves.

Also, some of these gloves are lined. If you can't find your size, a second choice may be to get the next-lowest available and cut the liner material out of them. That will give you a half size or so with the cashmere-lined ones, maybe not so much with the Thinsulate lining. Also, leather will stretch some with use.

06C4B7E1-3714-4CB4-A359-6E650CD2FA33-689-0000005CA5D0FCA6_zps44dec2fc.jpg

Okay, on with the show:

1. Indoor, no flash
Jango_gloves_indoor_no_flash_zps943ea58d.jpg

Indoor, with flash
Jango_gloves_indoor_flash_zps4db45bdc.jpg

Outdoor, sunlight, no flash
Jango_gloves_outdoor_sunlight_no_flash_zps955bd831.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Specs
Merona_zpsf51b7028.jpg

Brand: Merona
Outer: Leather
Inner: Thinsulate
Color: Teal
Category: Womens
Length: standard (2-button)
Sizes: up to "Large/X Large"
Notes: "Touch Tech." Touchscreen compatible. Stitch gathered at wrist on the inside face.
Retailer: Target (store in USA), target.com, or eBay (seller: targetstores). There are also some Merona gloves on Amazon, but I don't see the blue, err, teal ones at time of this post
Link: n/a at time of this post (seasonal)

Fownes_zps081c995f.jpg

Brand: Fownes (Fownes Brothers)
Outer: lambskin leather
Inner: cashmere
Color: Navy Blue
Category: women's
Length: long (4-button)
Sizes: Up to size 9 (XXXL)
Notes: Comes with a fabric storage bag
Retailer: amazon.com, sometimes Nordstrom department store (U.S.) and possibly Nordstrom Outlet stores
Link: Amazon.com: Fownes Women's Cashmere Lined Navy Lambskin Leather Gloves 9/XXXL: Clothing

Fratelli_Orsini_zps111edb4c.jpg

Brand: Fratelli Orsini
Inner: cashmere
Color: Navy
Sizes: Up to size 9
Retailer: amazon.com or leatherglovesonline.com
Link: Amazon.com: Fratelli Orsini Everyday Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves Size 8 1/2 Color Navy: Clothing
and Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Lambskin Leather Gloves By Fratelli Orsini Everyday | Free USA Shipping at Leather Gloves Online

Bonus:
Here's one more glove which was not in my photo comparison:

Fratelli_Orsini_silk_lined_zpsc0eeb792.jpg

Brand: Fratelli Orsini
Inner: silk
Color: Navy
Sizes: Up to size 8.5
Notes: Center vent on inner wrist/palm
Retailer: leatherglovesonline.com
Link: Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Lambskin Leather Gloves By Fratelli Orsini Everyday | Free USA Shipping at Leather Gloves Online

Thanks for looking, and I hope this is useful to anyone interested.

- Tom / Azrok

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom! Quite helpful. Been looking but only casually as I wasn't sure about the brands. Wife has a prime account so I'll prolly just snag a set online after I determine my size....

This is a nice comparison thread. Thanks for posting.

I have always used the Merona gloves. The oldest pair I have doens't have the touchscreen pad on the finger. But the new pairs do. It is nice to be able to answer or use your phone without taking the gloves off.

Wow, this is a perfect roundup of the gloves available. Thanks for the work and sharing.

Thanks to Mullreel I own a pair of Merona gloves and I think the outdoor, sunlight photo matches the color best.
Maybe it's even a bit more greenish in real.

hmm...I've been looking for the merona navy gloves and cant seem to find them. I've checked ebay amazon and target...is it just too late in the season to find them?

^^That was the case when I searched this week at all the sources I listed for the Merona gloves.

It basically took me two years of Fall/Winter seasons to get all the ones you see in the comparison photos (and additional ones of same brands in other sizes because I wasn't sure about fit) because I started looking too late in the first Fall/Winter. Which reminds me I need to add Nordstrom department stores to the first post as possible source for the Fownes gloves, will do that right after this post.

Also, remember that the Merona ones are Teal, both in 'official color name' and in appearance, though a dark teal when you see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm...I've been looking for the merona gloves and cant seem to find them. I've checked ebay amazon and target...is it just too late in the season to find them?

They don't usually last long at the stores. I try to buy several pair each year when I see them at Target and then pass them on to other TDH members. But this late in the season I would imagine they are gone.

Woman’s gloves tend to have plain tops (back of hand), where men’s have the extra stitching on top. So if you just want to make do, buy what you want. If you want the most movie accurate, follow the guide above.

Thanks, This thread should help a lot. I just got my boots and I was trying to find gloves. But when you have wampa size hands, it can be hard to find gloves.

Fownes Women's Cashmere Lined Navy All Fingers Conductive Metisse Leather Gloves 9/XXXL

These are what I ended up with and they look really good..... tight for my sausage fingers, but with a little gentle stretching........perfect

Hey there

I know this is an older thread but there are still a lot of Jangos in the works.
I found the perfect solution for men that have had to use women's gloves in the past.

Here is a pair of Navy men's driving gloves without the stitching detail. Will fit mens wider fingers much better.
Nappaglo Men's Classic Lambskin Leather Gloves.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVVEVUY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those do look good. As long as the button detail remains hidden when suited up then I think they would work. Though people still may want to order a smaller size and then remove the inner cashmere lining. I'd be worried about getting super sweaty hands if the lining was still present, since these are made for cold weather.

Those do look good. As long as the button detail remains hidden when suited up then I think they would work. Though people still may want to order a smaller size and then remove the inner cashmere lining. I'd be worried about getting super sweaty hands if the lining was still present, since these are made for cold weather.

That's my plan.. to remove the lining! Hope it works out well!

Dang, I’m still on the search for some Merona’s. I can’t find them anywhere
I ordered a pair of the Fownes from Amazon and am quite happy with them. They are womens gloves (to avoid any stitching or seams on the back of hand) so they run small...I removed the cashmere lining in mine and they fit nice and snug.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back