I got one!

Here's a 360 of what Ive got so far. Still need to do the ears/range finder and add the minor details here and there.

IMAG0683.jpgIMAG0684.jpgIMAG0685.jpgIMAG0686.jpgIMAG0687.jpgIMAG0688.jpgIMAG0690.jpgIMAG0691.jpgIMAG0692.jpgIMAG0693.jpg

Thanks much for the kind words. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've learned enough here to have improved greatly over the past few year. Enough so that I'm already planning to strip and repaint my other helmet.

Almost done, Just have to sand/0000 steel wool a few areas and extend the range finder stalk, tint the visor and add a little weathering around the dent/ comet tail and lower cheeks and I think Im calling this one. Any other suggestions or things Ive missed? Please let me know before I clear mate coat it. Thanks and enjoy!

1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

Fantastic job, Armydad! You've certainly spruced up this budget bucket. Seeing this makes me think I can't get away with the quick paint job I was hoping to do once I get back to it!

Question though: What did you use to clear out the keyslots? I partially started them on mine with hobby files, but it's been slow going.

Almost done, Just have to sand/0000 steel wool a few areas and extend the range finder stalk, tint the visor and add a little weathering around the dent/ comet tail and lower cheeks and I think Im calling this one. Any other suggestions or things Ive missed? Please let me know before I clear mate coat it. Thanks and enjoy!

View attachment 93362View attachment 93365View attachment 93364View attachment 93363
Again I say WOW...top-notch paint job. Have you painted an ESB bucket before?

Fantastic job, Armydad! You've certainly spruced up this budget bucket. Seeing this makes me think I can't get away with the quick paint job I was hoping to do once I get back to it!

Question though: What did you use to clear out the keyslots? I partially started them on mine with hobby files, but it's been slow going.

I used a dremmel to get them started then finished them off with a file.

This would be my second attempt at the ESB helmet, my first was about 4 years ago, its been my main helmet since, I wasnt as precise with the details with my older bucket as I was with this one, Ive learned a lot over the years, this target helmet shows it! Ill be repainting my other helmet in the near future. Ill post side by sides once Im done.

Ok guys, here's my finished product, for now. I really screwed up the inside of the visor trying to clean some over spray off and rendered it useless, so i had to apply the window tint to the outside. All I can say is do not try to clean clear plastic with acetone, fogged up the whole dang inside of the visor. (P.S. Automotive window tint was created by the devil himself) So as of right now this is strictly a display piece, at least until I can order and install a new visor. Enjoy! Thanks!

IMAG0704.jpgIMAG0711.jpgIMAG0710.jpgIMAG0709.jpgIMAG0708.jpgIMAG0707.jpgIMAG0706.jpgIMAG0705.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very cool.

How many helmets you have painted, to achieve this skill?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's looking really good. I've been looking around for something like this I could work on, seems they're already quite elusive.

This is in fact the second helmet I have painted. Thanks!

Great looking helmet! I am currently doing my first paintup of this helmet and saw you had replaced the Rangefinder stalk. What rangefinder stalk did you end up replacing stock one with?

I cut one out of wood, then made a quick cast in play do (I just pressed the wooden range finder stalk into the play do) and pulled it out. I then filled the mold with fiberglass resin. Let it dry and viola! New range finder stalk. Then I glued the range finder on top and that was it. Not difficult at all.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back