How do you clean your equipment after a very sweaty troop?

Lazerjock

Active Hunter
I finished my build and am trooping now, but don't know the best way to clean all the sweat soaked parts.

-Simply throwing the flight suit & gloves in the washing machine doesn't seem like a good idea.
-Dry cleaning is a possibility, but the may remove all of the weathering I worked so hard on not knowing it is supposed to be there.
-Lysol or Febreze are always a possible option.

What do you do?

I use to work for a company repairing and managing the DreamWorks costumes (like Shrek, Puss In Boots, Alex the lion, etc) and we used vodka mixed with water (1:1) and would spray the costume pieces that couldn’t be washed. The vodka would kill the bacteria and we would hang to air dry. We would then spray fabric softener mixed with water to thin it out (1:4 ratio) and would brush out any fur and or “refresh” the costumes. Maybe you could try that. I haven’t been able to troop yet but that’s my plan for when I do.

I use to work for a company repairing and managing the DreamWorks costumes (like Shrek, Puss In Boots, Alex the lion, etc) and we used vodka mixed with water (1:1) and would spray the costume pieces that couldn’t be washed. The vodka would kill the bacteria and we would hang to air dry. We would then spray fabric softener mixed with water to thin it out (1:4 ratio) and would brush out any fur and or “refresh” the costumes. Maybe you could try that. I haven’t been able to troop yet but that’s my plan for when I do.

Hmm might have to try this on my jean jacket and jerseys hanging up and my flight suits if I ever troop.

If this unknown place (cough starts with U) did it, I'm being swayed to try the vodka thing. FYI I worked there too many years ago as a laser tech.

I usually let the fabric pieces air dry for a couple of hours in below freezing temperature out on my balcony (winter) or in the freezer (summer). But using vodka sounds less time consuming with the same result (killing the germs). I will try that sometime!

If this unknown place (cough starts with U) did it, I'm being swayed to try the vodka thing. FYI I worked there too many years ago as a laser tech.
Believe it or not it was for a third party company who had rights to the costumes for a year contract. But yes I have worked for the “U” company for many years doing both costume fabrication as well as makeup FX. Im not saying the vodka method is the end all be all- but it works. Lol

I suppose Vinegar would be a good ant-septic. We use vinegar to clean just about everything. Stinks at first but has a clean pleasant smell afterwards.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back