Help!! Stupid Newbie!

Greetings folks!
New to the forum here and new to the Boba hobby but not costuming or prop building. Thanks for having me.
I’m in Denver, Colorado, USA. I came here looking to put together two kits. The first is a bit unique and different though I know that it has been done before. I’ll talk to in more in a moment. The second is just a straight up detailed ESB Boba kit from head to toe.
My goal with the first kit is to put together a Scottish Boba Fett kit that will be used by a persona which will go by MacFett. The basic idea is an ESB Boba kit from the waist up, kilted from the waist down, with a few specific changes such as:
- The cape with be a Wallace tartan with a contrasting solid dark green stripe
- A custom British tan, aged Kilt belt under the ammo belt
- A custom made Wookie faced sporran which roars when opened. (fortunately I’m 80% done with this already)
- Kilt boots w/ olive green spats, kilt hose.
I have found several sources to purchase everything for the waist up portions of the outfit. However I have two fears:
- The painting process
- The electronics
I have found a source to purchase all of the various components over time. I have some experience building props and painting. I run a custom hand painted banner and flag business (Dirk and Arrow Creations) however I realize how different painting canvas is to painting a hard surfaced material.
How difficult is the painting process? Are there instructions, steps, or advice out there?
Are there specific shades of olive green, red, yellow, orange, etc? Where can I find these and where can I purchase them?

With the newbie posting rules what they are and being a rank armature newbie at all of this I really don’t have enough knowledge to contribute anything worthwhile here that will add up to 50 posts. So I’m stuck waiting the 90 days before I can post in the Cargo forum so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

At any rate, thanks for the help and time.

Ethan

Best bet is to use an airbrush. I've been collecting pars for a year and s half and finally got my paint gear.
Check out the consolidated paint threads that are stickies at the top of the boba helmet section. Great info there. Some use acrylics, some enamels. I bought paint based off of terminal settlers list of Humbrol enamels. Just like the durability aspect of them. Good luck man. A good boba Is rather pricey, so I'd recommend putting the heavy hitters in the ESB costume....

I'm a large fan of airbrushing over rattlecan, I find you get a better result and better control. In regards to process, there are lots of build threads here include close to step by steps. I recommend you have a really good explore as there is a lot of great info here, and regarding not feeling yo could do ober 50 post you may surprise yourself. Ask questions, build/paint stuff and post it up. Most here will throw in their two cents either via advice or encouragement. and before you know it you may just realise that it wasn't as hard as you thought.
Have fun, I'm sure you will:D

I can't wait to see what you build! ...I'm not a airbrush guy I use standard acrylics and brushes. For me it's easier to control, I'm a canvas artist myself. Liquitex and golden are great brands, you can buy a variety of greens to mix, then adjust with black and white. I find sanding with 600 grit or higher between layers gives a nice finish as well.... Look forward to seeing what you create!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back