Gauntlet electronics

I was wondering if there was any threads about where to buy the gauntlet light, how to install etc.

Also, maybe open to other ideas to bring the gauntlets to life. I have seen some mention smoke etc.

I've done several searches on this very topic. There are a few out there by typing in "gauntlets LEDs," "lights on gauntlets," or something similar. However, unless I've missed one, very few have schematics to actually show you how it's done. You can generally find the info on the web about wiring up the LEDs - for the flamethrower for example - and I'm just about to start this very thing, so if I can find a way to do it I'll certainly share any results. (Also, I'm sure it's pretty simple, as far as electronics go, but I don't have an electronic background) :) (y)

Here is the thread with a big discussion on it:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/rotj-left-guantlet-light-wip-49568/?highlight=gauntlet+light

All you really need is something similar to this (check dimensions first):

BO-553RD1.jpg

These can be found online or at local hardware stores. That link above goes directly to some that have been used. If you get one with cables already attached that's a huge time saver for someone not electronically inclined (like myself). Grab one of these:

20120502110909400.JPG

Match black to black, red to red. You can seal with electrical tape, or butt connector, but I liked using these guys:

PosiLock.JPG

They twist to lock so you know it's a tight seal.

I put industrial velcro on my 9volt to keep it in place and then just attach the clip when I want to put it on. I previously used a 9v battery box with an on/off switch, but this saves a lot more space.

Just a heads up you can also easily use a battery installation that uses a cr2032 battery that's the size of a quarter and costs the same as a 9v per battery.

Here is the thread with a big discussion on it:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/rotj-left-guantlet-light-wip-49568/?highlight=gauntlet+light

All you really need is something similar to this (check dimensions first):

View attachment 91074

These can be found online or at local hardware stores. That link above goes directly to some that have been used. If you get one with cables already attached that's a huge time saver for someone not electronically inclined (like myself). Grab one of these:

View attachment 91075

Match black to black, red to red. You can seal with electrical tape, or butt connector, but I liked using these guys:

View attachment 91076

They twist to lock so you know it's a tight seal.

I put industrial velcro on my 9volt to keep it in place and then just attach the clip when I want to put it on. I previously used a 9v battery box with an on/off switch, but this saves a lot more space.

That was such useful information, thanks ! So what gauge wire should be used? Your posi lock is blue and says 12-18g.

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Just a heads up you can also easily use a battery installation that uses a cr2032 battery that's the size of a quarter and costs the same as a 9v per battery.

How long would these last?

Also I found this holder for the cr2032 that has a on/off switch also. It's tiny and should fit in there easily. Also, eliminates Deathproofs issue of having to put a battery in every time you wanna use it.

Amazon.com: 3Pcs 2xCR2032 Coin Button Cell Battery Holder Case on/off Switch Black: Sports & Outdoors

Those holders work and are less of a footprint. I just can find 9volts are a lot more common and at costco they're a pretty good value. I keep the battery in the gauntlet. I just attach the clip when I need it.

I don't know what gauge of wire - it's pretty standard though. The posi-locks come in many shapes and sizes.

How long would these last?

Also I found this holder for the cr2032 that has a on/off switch also. It's tiny and should fit in there easily. Also, eliminates Deathproofs issue of having to put a battery in every time you wanna use it.

Amazon.com: 3Pcs 2xCR2032 Coin Button Cell Battery Holder Case on/off Switch Black: Sports & Outdoors

Actually it lasts longer. The reason is due to the 2032 being a lower voltage. To be honest though, I just have it to have it....I don't walk around with that light on.

- - - Updated - - -

Those holders work and are less of a footprint. I just can find 9volts are a lot more common and at costco they're a pretty good value. I keep the battery in the gauntlet. I just attach the clip when I need it.

I don't know what gauge of wire - it's pretty standard though. The posi-locks come in many shapes and sizes.

Things might be different for you where you are versus where I am. 2032 are extremely common near me, I can even get them from kmart.

I have a LED in mine similar to the one Deathproof showed but used a battery pack with 2 AA tucked underneath the rocket. Also added a toggle switch on the inside of the gauntlet (in the center of the Casio Battery cover area) to turn the light on or off. I troop with the light on all the time & have close to 30 troops at this time & have yet to change batteries.

AAs do work a lot better. My other electronics that run off AAs I've rarely had to change. My issue is that I tethered my flamethrower lights to the gauntlet light. So I've got three small LEDs running off the one 9v. I did this to save space, but I've had to change the battery twice already in 5 months.

A 9V battery is a really poor battery for most lighting solutions. It is convenient and works, but doesn't last as long as other batteries.

For that little light, you can gut the light, put a small 5mm or 3mm white led inside and wire it to a AA or button cell circuit that should last for hours. No worrying about having to deal with the 12v light setup, etc.

For the flamethrower portion:

Has anyone looked into higher power leds for these? Or is the light supposed to be a small led rather than a more powerful emitting one?

I have built many sabers, so I am used to high power leds and it would work to just install li-ions in the gauntlet with a rechargeable circuit, so you didn't have to change anything out. Just plug it in.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back