Finishing up my Boba Bucket and I think I have a Fett fettish as well.....

Demmoc

Hunter
I was born the same year A New Hope was released so Star Wars has always been part of my life. My poor wife has to run around when EP1 was released to collect coke cans that had the EP1 characters on them, she had to go with me to fan events and dress up as Princess Leia for numerous Halloweens, had to drive all around Indiana to every Target when they released the new Boba helmets so I could get several of them, has had to put up with my Star Wars nerdyness for 16 years and had to continually make more room for my growing Star Wars collection until we had a child back in 2004 when I sold a large portion of my collection. When I did this, I focused on narrowing down what I collected and it centered around my all time favorite character, Boba Fett.

Now, I'm a fairly crafty guy and I started a Boba costume over 15 years ago and it has slowly gotten upgraded every since (as you can probably see in my profile pic with my version 1 costume from back in 2000) I have NEVER purchased a kit or prefab item. It's always been 100% hand made by myself with found parts or self crafted parts but the exception was always the helmets. I usually take a store bought one and mod it to look more convincing. So I finally decided to start a scratch build helmet and have been working on it for many months now between other projects.

IMG_1947.JPGIMG_1948.JPG

The first helmet interruption was the mailbox last winter. What self respecting Fett lover would get his mail in a normal boring standard issue mailbox? Not this guy.....

IMG_2538.JPGIMG_2541.JPG

So then it was back to work on my Helmet.... until I got side tracked again by building my jetpack for the EPVII release and my 11 year old son's Halloween costume.....

IMG_1901.JPGIMG_2304.JPGIMG_2157.JPG

Back to the helmet......

IMG_1950.JPG

But then a friend of mine was over in my shop and saw a fully scratch built Stormtrooper blaster that I had in a big box of parts. He made fun of me because it's an even older project than any of my Fett projects, so I decided to finish it and then decided while I was on the blaster kick, I'd repaint my Boba blaster.

10bec89d.jpgIMG_3056.JPG

FINALLY!!! It's time to finish my Boba helmet that's now taken me over a year to complete!!! Will this ever get finished?!!

IMG_1964.JPG

The answer to that is, no...... We bought a new couch a month ago and the little couch arm, remote holder thing that I used on the old couch won't fit on the new one so I need an end table to hold my beer and remotes while I watch TV. Something you need to know about me is that I love guns, guitars and cars as well as Boba so I figured that a custom made Boba guitar body made into an end table would be the way to go so I put my helmet on hold AGAIN and came up with this. When it's done it will lay flat and be bolted to a mic stand that has been cut short to end table height. I'm starting to think there might be something wrong with me...

IMG_3193.JPGIMG_3194.JPG

Now with that almost done i was back to my helmet last night!!!! (the visor is only to hold shape, not the permanent one) So, I'm fairly happy with it so far but this has been a little bigger challenge than anticipated. The entire reason I'm posting this thread is so the community will keep me accountable and I feel like I need to keep you updated so I finally finish this thing!!! I started printing the paint templates out today so hopefully by this weekend nothing else will get in my way of finishing this crazy thing!

I will throw a disclaimer in here. I love doing this stuff and most of it isn't exact 501st quality and I'm ok with that. So if you notice on my jetpack that I haven't put the piano keys on or that my beacon doesn't light up, that's ok with me. I do this stuff for me but feedback is always appreciated!

IMG_2058.JPG

My wife told me I can't paint my 72 Plymouth in the style of Boba but I think some red trim and a big visor on the hood with some battle damage would make it better......... Do I have a problem? Even my house is close to Boba green :(

IMG_1230.jpg

So with this all said, you can probably see that I try to use humor to mask the fact that I may be a little obsessed with this bounty hunter. Now if I can stop being distracted by other Boba projects, I might be able to get my bucket finished before the release of Rouge One. Not holding my breath but I'm going to give it the old college try. Besides, I have 4 other decent helmets to wear if I don't but they aren't as good looking as what I hope this one to be. Anyone else have this problem of wanting to have everything Boba surrounding you?

I was even watching Futurama a while back and noticed that the vent on the wall at planet express is in the exact shape of the bottom vent of Boba's jetpack........

I may be obsessed but what a great hobby to have!!

Sir, step away from the car! I think the helmet is coming along great. Truth be told, scratch building a bucket is on my very short list to do after I get the ESB build completed.
It's funny all the stuff you Fettinated. I have an old iPhone 5 that I still use that I've been contemplating putting a little Fettish on. Just keep having theother things get in the way.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
About to start a new guitar paint up on a Stratocaster if anyone has any advice on a Fett theme. That guitar end table was just a prototype to get an idea how I was going to do the real thing. I'm not that good with doing graphics so I kinda wing it as I go. I think less battle damage on the next one and maybe more weathering. I'll actually play this new one out so it has to be pretty good.

Don't worry guys, not going to do anything to the car......... for now anyway. Was only half serious about it so as long as the other half of the voices in my head are quite it'll never happen.

For your the paint on the Stratocaster a mythosaur skull would be cool. you could make the neck of the guitar the teeth of the skull.

a month after I started this thread...... I started to paint the back of my bucket and wouldn't you know. It turns out I'm out of the green I need on the final coat so I had to order it and Humbrol has to have the slowest shipping in the world!! I WILL finish this!

Made some progress last night but I'm not overly happy with my colors. I'm not doing to much to fix the problem but is it that noticeable how far they seem to be off the reference photos colors? I'm not overly upset with the back panels but I'm not overly thrilled with them either. This is my first paint up and I'm way over critical of myself when I do things. Give it to me straight though!

IMG_3285.JPG

More progress this weekend. Still not overly happy with the colors. Of course the camera is an iphone so the color doesn't come through exact. I'm hoping the mandibles and keyhole slot will make it look right to my eye when it's done. It may just be the silver that's throwing me off right now. I'm using the recommended Humbrol colors and all.
IMG_3300.JPGIMG_3302.JPGIMG_3301.JPG

I haven't moved onto Fett painting myself yet so I'm no expect in how it should look so take my word for whatever it's worth, but I can say from having done other projects that that sorta weird flat overly cartoony look is generally how everything looks before it gets a good weathering pass. Remember you're dealing with 100% solid colors with no variation or shading depth yet, so I wouldn't reserve too much judgement on them.

So good chance you're fine, if you're really worried though, maybe take some time to do a big test piece all the way through to the weathering step and see if you like it. Also try it out in some natural lighting too, fluorescent can really mess up perceived color temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
More progress this weekend. Still not overly happy with the colors. Of course the camera is an iphone so the color doesn't come through exact. I'm hoping the mandibles and keyhole slot will make it look right to my eye when it's done. It may just be the silver that's throwing me off right now. I'm using the recommended Humbrol colors and all.
View attachment 104764View attachment 104766View attachment 104765

i hear ya. I experienced the same thing doing mine. Your green in the first pic looks great, but for some reason it looks a little darker in pics 2 & 3. Things change when you do the mandibles, so see what happens, remember you can always repaint! Overall it is looking good.

I am very very sure that this will be my only paint attempt on the ESB Boba Helmet. I'm not spending this much time again haha! It's been very tedious and exciting.

I am very very sure that this will be my only paint attempt on the ESB Boba Helmet. I'm not spending this much time again haha! It's been very tedious and exciting.
Don't say that, no one is going to get it right first time. My own first, and so far only, attempt at this was pretty mediocre overall. The only part I was really all that happy with was the back panels and, frankly, I made a right pig's ear of the dent, the killstripes were overcooked... the list goes on. Those top guys are good because they've had a lot of practice. Superjedi, who is one of the most consistent, has done over 20 ESB helmets.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back