Favorite inner helmet liner /padding?

tkRyno

Jr Hunter
My Boba Fett bucket is still on its way and I still have scrap foam ghetto-taped to the inside of my stormtrooper bucket. I just wanted to get an idea for what people prefer. Padding? Helmet liner? Other?

I like the hard hat suspension system. I have used that in both of my helmets. My Boba Fett is a scratch build & Jodo Kast is a DVH. Due to the room & the dome I used 2 different styles but still achieved the same affect. The suspension system keeps the helmet from moving around but also keeps it in the same position. I also like the comfort of it & there is adjustment if needed.

The Boba Fett helmet I used the suspension from a face shield & reversed the locking nuts from the outside to the inside. Epoxied the stud to the inside of the dome & then am able to screw the knobs that came with it & attach the suspension. Went with this cause of room in the dome.

The Jodo Kast helmet there was enough room to cut & fit the attachment area of the hard hat, trimming it down to a ring, to fit in the helmet. Used Loctite epoxy putty to hold it inside the dome.

DSCF5303_zps11198584.jpg

20150809_220954_zpsmoffycjm.jpg

Here's a pic of my method. I'm a residential designer and builder so I used something I just had on hand. It's 1" open cell foam normally used to close off the open areas under a metal roof's ridge vent. It's self adhesive on one side, so it's peel-and-stick.

My helmet is lightweight illustration board with a styrofoam dome. After some trial and error I found the ideal positions for the foam for me. It's soft enough to not be uncomfortable, but firm enough to hold the helmet in place except for a firm head shake. Open cell means air and vapor can pass through the foam, as the bubbles in the foam are connected to each other.

IMG_20151220_204732592.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back