Evolution Props: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

If the guy could get you the items in a month, lots more would buy from him, since they could get the money back via Paypal resolution if it were trash. I understand customs and international shipping, but I get stuff from other countries and from him in much less time, so no excuse except that he ships it late so you cannot dispute it.

I got my stuff in just under 3 weeks. Yeah customs and stuff is crazy. I can see the issue...no trouble for me though. That's just me though.

Well for the future of Evo and for the costuming world in general, I really do hope he sorts stuff out. But until then, buy at your own risk.

Good statement. Yeah, here's one who likes Gabe and EVO! Maybe risk it, and you might be pleasantly surprised! ;-)

Anyone bought his knee darts? I bought a set to upgrade my current FP ones. The Evo ones are way too small at 14mm dia, FP's are 18mm. Anyone else found this?

I have the Evo ones cause I bought his full armor set. I don't mind the size. I use IOA knees for my Boba cause FP would never reply to my emails and I think the Evo darts look good on them. If they were any bigger, I think they would look too bulky.

Purchased a replacement set of suare ear caps for my FX trooper bucket (lost one during an outting years ago). Although the communication was good, the items were garbage. I ended up throwing them away and am in talks on FISD for a legit replacement set. My advice, you can get better elsewhere.

So I'm curious (since i was thinking of buying some of my "leather" props from evo like ammo pouches for my jango) how did this all work out? Anybody get their refund? Anybody else buy anything from Gabe recently? Was it worth the money?

(tune in next time on The Drama Helmet :p (I'm just kidding I swear))

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gray.....best bet you can do is to re-read this thread and then ask if it makes sense. Better to slowly buy a quality costume piece by piece than to spend this much money to just throw away one piece at a time.

These guys shipped me 1/2 a garbage costume I spent 1200 dollars on...

Just a little bit of background, when I started to build my Boba Fett costume, I seriously considered buying the complete costume from Evolutions Props. This was before my indoctrination to TDH. All I can say is "Thank the Maker" I did not follow through with that idea (of course, the stuff I have now is FettPride, Bobamaker, and MOW which is all top shelf, so consider my point of reference). That being said, I did buy close to $500 worth of stuff from Evolution Props. Most of it I re-sold on E-Bay for a slight loss. I would call most of the Evolution Props entry level stuff that you will eventually upgrade if you are serious. In general, it's a step above Rubies, but not a big step. Gabriel Campos, the proprietor, is an honest person, a good human being, and will bend over backwards to make things right. However, you may get frustrated long before you reach that point and just cut your loses. I ordered a flight suit in early June and here we are in October and I do not have a flight suit that I can even get into. He has re-made the suit once and sent extra fabric another time (which did not match the color or texture). Since I am out of time before Halloween, I took both the first and second attempt at the flight suit to a local seamstress and now I have a patchwork Boba Fett. It'll get me by with the armor over it and considering most people don't know the details. But your typical TDH member would laugh me out of the building. So here is my unbiased review (and I really like Gabe):

The Good

Gauntlet Rocket - I'm not sure if it is at the same level as a Russel Replica, but it's pretty darn good. Gabe will send both rocket ends so that you can change between ESB and ROTJ. You have to weather the rocket on your own. My only complaint is that it is heavy. Of course, it is solid brass and aluminum. Also, I compared it the Fettpride rocket casting that I received with my gauntlet. The Evolution Props is larger in overall size and diameter. I'm not sure which one is correctly sized, but when I see the Evol rocket on the gauntlet, it looks too big. I think the FP resin in closer to the truth. I am going with the FP rocket due to weight, but the Evol rocket looks good (just bigger and heavier). Picture attached show the FP rocket compared to the Evol rocket (with silver tip removed). Notice that the overall length and dimated are larger on the Evol rocket.

Gauntlet Darts - Excellent

Knee Darts - Excellent

Laser Emitters - Excellent

Boots and Spikes - The boots are what I would call pretty good, especially for the price. I've read that they are not too far of a drop off from CABoots, but that assessment seems to very a good bit. The only complaint against the boots is that one of my boots was detached a slight amount from to sole when it arrived. Easy to fix with some shoe goop and good as new. This seems to be a common problem and fix. The shoes are very light. All and all a good buy.

Pouches and Spats - These both seemed pretty decent to me. Good quality stitching and form.

Shin Tools - These are decent. You may have a part break off if you are rough, but it will be easily re-attached with some JB Weld.

ROTJ or ESB Cape - Read the fine print. People have been disappointed when you order based on the picture. The picture for Evolution Props shows a nicely weathered cape. The cape that arrives will be brand new fabric and not weathered at all. This will be stated in the description, but it's easy to overlook. That being said, I used the weathering tutorial off of YouTube and my cape is flat awesome. The weathering is actually easy. The material used by Evolutions and the stitching is good. You just have to do a little work. Here's the link to the tutorial:
Boba Fett Weathering Tutorial - YouTube

The Bad

Chest and Back Armor - Don't buy this armor expecting great things. Buy it expecting to upgrade at a later date. The pictures from the advertisement will almost certainly look much better than the product you actually receive. The silver looks to be done with a paint marker, so the layered effect if very two dimensional. The grime paint looks like a bad varnish. Armor may even have a varnish smell to it when you open the box and you will see brush marks. Armor is flimsy and I doubt will hold up over time. I bought the backpiece and the butt piece. Back piece will last until I can get BobaMaker stuff and it will be hidden by my MOW jet pack anyway. The butt piece never arrived. Gabe keeps saying he forgot to ship. After 5 months, I am just going to give up on it.

Knee Armor - Gabe threw in the knee armor for free after all the mess ups with the flight suit. Paint was horrible. Again, looked nothing like the picture. Silver paint marker and lacquer brush marks for the grime effect. I had to sand and repaint. Molds are only okay. Because the lines were not straight and I mean they were really off, the knee darts point in different direction. Buy these only as a low budget option, but plan on repainting and replacing eventually.

Collar Studs - These are okay, but I am giving them a bad rating because of the 6 studs I received, no two were exactly alike. They are also relatively square (or at least most of them) and opposed to having the slanted shape. They are taller than accurate ones.

Gloves - The gloves are okay, but some of the stitching of the the white parts had some pretty big gaps and will likely not hold up. To the casual observer they probably look good. It's only on close inspection that you will be critical of quality. They are cotton and lightweight, so they will be cool (which I like), but for the money, I thought they were overpriced. I expect the durability will be very short. In all honesty, had I been able to see them first, I would have opted to pay an additional $30 and gone with some better gloves or Bobamaker. The button on the glove shown in the picture was not part of the glove I received. Sort of a common thing that the picture in the advertisement will be the best case scenario and may not be strictly what you receive.

The Ugly

Flight Suit - This gets real ugly. The flight suit would be pretty good, if it would fit. I had read that the dimensions (particularly circumference type dimensions) ran a couple inches small. I added several inches to each measurement, and in two attempts, I could not get a flight suit that would even zip up because of the tightness. The first one actually split when I tried. I hear a lot of people are having this problem. So let me tell you how bad it is. I have a 38" waist. I put 44" on the first suit and 46" on the second suit. Both were so tight around the waist that I could barely zip, much less sit down without splitting the suit. I am 6' 2". I put 6' 4" for my height, and one suit was too small by an inch in length and the other looked like I was waiting for a flood. I added 6" to my actual chest size and both were too tight. I took both suits to the local seamstress and she had to add 4" to the length (which puts a silly 4" band around the middle of the sit) and she had to add a 3" V-shape material to EACH side of the suit. It's a little bit like driving from Los Angeles to Vegas, but arriving in Seattle. How do you get that far off twice. I think the suits come from a warehouse and they try to pick one that most closely fits. Fit is a big problem and he changes material from time to time. One more thing, the distance between the top of the shin tools pocket and the bottom of the cargo pocket is barely enough space to wear the knee armor. You will not be able to wear the shin tools unless you take it to a seamstress and have the pocket lowered about 3" (as I did). The Pictures shown below illustrate the last flight suit that I received AFTER I took to the tailer for modifications. Notice the 3 inch band that runs around the waist to give it the length needed for me to fit into the suit. Also notice the 3 inch V-panels on each side (that run top to bottom) that were added to allow the right girth for me to be able to zip the suit. The picture that shows the shin tools pocket was taken after I lowered the pockey 3-1/2". Velcro patch shows location of knee armor. The pocket used to butt up to that velcro.

Flak Vest and Neck Seal - It is made of a very shinny material. Great if you want to look like a pimp at a disco, but not so good for Fett. I sold mine on E-bay as soon as it arrived. Also, he had to make it twice. Again I added several extra inches. The first one I could not zip or get my head through without choking. The second one (used the same dimension) fit well, but just didn't care for the shinny look. Also, the first vest was very puffy and the second one was a different material and not puffy (which I like much better).

Wookie Braids - These are trash unless you think Rubies stuff looks good. Sold mine immediately and bought some horse hair to make my own braids. That is probably a difference in $90 of cost, but at least the hair looks real. Doll air looks like, well, doll hair. It's way too uniform. I guess the black and the brown braid are okay in a pinch, but the yellow braid is a joke. Would have been better to go with white or silver. Picture shown below ( I took this picture to make them look as good as possible since I was re-selling on E-Bay). There are no loops on the braids - only straight lengths.

Jet Pack Harness - Also trash and looks nothing like the picture. Don't waste your time with this component. The webbing is probably half the size of what is pictured. It's very thin and doubt will hold any weight comfortably.

Comments welcome.

In summary, metal parts are pretty decent. Armor is strictly starter (upgraded version of Rubies). You take a BIG gamble on soft parts fitting.

I picked up my boots from Evo and I would give them a C+. They fulfill the appearance of the Boba boot, but they are not completely accurate and they are not particularly well-made. They will be durable enough to wear around, which is great, but the heels on both boots came out uneven and I can feel that when I wear them for an extended period of time.

I'd purchase from Evo again, but I would probably avoid his products for any of the big focal points.

And like it's been said by others, it really depends on where your budget is and how accurate you are wanting your Boba getup to be.

I got my boots from them and were not too happy. But I put some dr scholls gell inserts and they are bearable.

It appears they are shut down, as this is what shows when you go to the website. Email sent to their support line result in "unable to send, "A message that you sent could not be delivered to one ormore of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)failed:

cs@evolutiontoys.com.ar SMTP error fromremote mail server after RCPT TO:<cs@evolutiontoys.com.ar>:"

Which is unfortunate as I have an open order with them. Who knows if I'll ever receive my items...

Capture.PNG

Jayprizz

Capture.PNG

It appears they are shut down, as this is what shows when you go to the website. Email sent to their support line result in "unable to send, "A message that you sent could not be delivered to one ormore of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)failed:

cs@evolutiontoys.com.ar SMTP error fromremote mail server after RCPT TO:<cs@evolutiontoys.com.ar>:"

Which is unfortunate as I have an open order with them. Who knows if I'll ever receive my items...

View attachment 83190

Jayprizz

I´ve seen they are still active at E-vil-bay... "propstudiogabe" Hope this helps!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back