Cheapest Visors For the SgtFang Mystery Helmet!

SgtFang

Hunter
Gone but not forgotten.
You want-

HF4178-DRK - Dark Green Faceshield - $4.30

These are fantastic AND cheap! They're more than wide enough for any make Boba helmet and can be cut with any pair of heavy scissors. Just cut the shape out, and hotglue into place.:)

Also, there will be enough scrap material to do a set of trooper or TIE pilot eyes as well. (y)

-Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
You want-

HF4178-DRK - Dark Green Faceshield - $4.30

These are fantastic AND cheap! They're more than wide enough for any make Boba helmet and can be cut with any pair of heavy scissors. Just cut the shape out, and hotglue into place.:)

Also, there will be enough scrap material to do a set of trooper or TIE pilot eyes as well. (y)

-Sarge

I can vouch for Sarge on this. Really good stuff. I bought some from them for my ANH Stormtrooper helmet and they're pretty nice and dark.

-Joe

I notice they have two styles of dark green. One is model 4118 for $3.65, the other is the one you mentioned. Wonder what the difference is. I used a welding visor like this on my first helmet and it is very dark. Nice for daytime but quite difficult to see clearly in low-light environments. If one of these models is a lighter tint than the other, that would be ideal. :)

It says model 4118 is 11 1/4" wide and Sarge's suggestion is 16 1/2" wide. They are probably the same tint, just one is wider than the other.

Depends on the version you go for. ESB Boba is very dark green in most scenes, while ROTJ is black in all scenes I believe. Stormtrooper lenses are also either dark green or black, depending on the version.

The only thing that I dont dig about that sight is you have to order multiples in just the right qanity to get a fair shake on shipping. They charge $8 to ship one. (n)

The visors are great though. I used them in the first few helmets I put together for folks and they seem fine to me. I have found a slightly darker green visor that I like more now though.

And yes, ESB has a green visor. ROTJ used a dark smoked acrylic for its visor.

yeah, the last time i ordered from them i think i got 5, just so that my order was more than my shipping.

Ooops... Sorry about that- I didn't know they gouged single orders that much, I always used to get them by the case. :eek:

-Sarge

I just went to the rjsaftey site, and the HF4178-DRK is no longer offered. They have a HF4199DGR offered at $6.37 that is listed as dark green. Has anyone gotten this yet? Will it work for ESB still?

Also, HUGE difference in shipping if you send to a commercial address. No idea why, but they do.

I hate to bring up an old thread....BUTTTTTT I thought I would provide an updated link for anyone who is interested:

Home

Also, I am curious how you guys see where you are going with such a dark visor? I admit I haven't searched the forum yet (and I am about to) but has anyone found an alternative to this site that lets you see more easily? I would love something like a tinted car window which is easy to see out of but hard to see in. Thought/suggestions?

Off to the search page I go!

Hey, nice to see this thread moved up, and with a new link. I was just going to search for it. Need a visor for a new bucket I am working on, plus I need some stormtrooper lenses. I am shipping to my workplace, the commerical shipping rates are much better.

I buy mine at local welding supply shops for $6.00 and no shipping.I use the #3 grade lens on my TK and #5 on clones.#5 is very dark.I'd say they are the same as being discussed here.

Anyone have any thoughts on the tinted window concept?

I might have to experiment on my own I guess but there has to be a better way to do this than welding shields...I mean, they are so dark! If we can go to the moon and back I think we can come up with an alternative for a visor.

Anyone have any thoughts on the tinted window concept?

I might have to experiment on my own I guess but there has to be a better way to do this than welding shields...I mean, they are so dark! If we can go to the moon and back I think we can come up with an alternative for a visor.

It might be difficult to attach the tinting material and have it hold properly, much less not rub off from normal wear and tear.

Your "moon and back" comment doesn't make much sense to me. A welding visor is preferred because:
1.) It's dark enough to not let people see through.
2.) You can see out of it easily enough.
3.) Camera flashes make it look black.
4.) They're cheap and easy to replace.
5.) Different shades are available.

I have limited experience with welding masks but I found them incredibly difficult to see out of when I have been welding. That's why it's on a hinge so you can lift it up and see what you are doing. I haven't looked out of the welding visors discussed here so I'm obviously making some assumptions.

If I am getting things confused here please correct me.

I got my visors from RJSafety. You will have no trouble seeing through them. They actually don't look dark enough to me:facepalm I got the 4118, they are supposed to be the right ones, but it doesn't say what shade they are. Hopefully once they are installed they will appear darker, and people won't be able to see through it. If not, I may have to use both and double them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back