Boushh Boushh helmet build - commission for Darth Z

Leather has been weathered. Snout and rangefinder installed. I like to screw both the snout and rangefinder to the helmet to guarantee a solid bond. We are so close to completing the build. A bit more leather work and installing the lenses and we are set.

Total time for leather weathering and snout/rangefinder install was 30 min.

IMG_6069.JPGIMG_6070.JPGIMG_6074.JPGIMG_6075.JPG

I have never seen something could be done so quickly and nicely, 2 thumbs up !!!!!

Thanks Frank! I wouldn't call a 20+ hour build super fast, you're just lucky I've had a lot of time to work on it this week! Can't wait to ship it out to you! Just a bit more leather work and we're set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I worked on putting together the last leather pieces to attach to the helmet. This is the neck cowl and leather strap that goes around the back of the helmet. These are where those little clasps will also be attached.

The strap part is about an inch wide, same as the clasp. 5 or 6 lines are sew down the length of the strap. I can usually only fit 5.

The neck cowl is actually two pieces of leather sewn together in the middle. After these two pieces are sewn together I sew to lines parallel to the seam and then glue everything down in the back.

Next I gave these leather parts the same wash/distressing as the snout pieces. Once they dry I'll install them onto the helmet.

Total time - 1 hour

IMG_6088.JPGIMG_6089.JPGIMG_6091.JPGIMG_6093.JPGIMG_6094.JPGIMG_6095.JPGIMG_6096.JPG

So I'm calling this build complete. The weathering on the leather neck cowl and strap finished drying so I installed them onto the helmet.

Total time for this build was about 22 hours. This has been good to track and may affect my pricing in the future. I was under the assumption that this was about a 15 hour build project (mostly because I never kept track of any of my time and just tried to estimate) and I also would like to account for the leather that I buy for the builds as well. I think starting May or June I'll have to make some changes to what I charge, just so the rate more better reflects my time and cost for some materials. The change won't be significant, and anyone who talks to me (or has talked to me about a commission) before June will get my current rate. I hope people feel that is fair. ;)

Here are just a few pictures of the neck cowl and strap in place. And yes, I can never resist trying on a finished helmet. There's just something about that "new helmet" smell... I'm girly that way.

IMG_6101 2.JPGIMG_6102 2.JPGIMG_6103 2.JPGIMG_6104 2.JPGFullSizeRender 6.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back