BoBF Armor pieces texture?

Rook 3

Jr Hunter
I've been looking at the different pieces, and some of them have an obvious "pebbled" texture, such as the helmet, rocket pack and main body armor.

Some other parts, such as the shoulder, knee and vambraces I can't see if they also have the texture. Anyone who has been to D23 or Celebration, have you noticed if those pieces also have the surface texture?

Some parts of the helmet and the jetpack are not textured. Parts that are NOT textured are:
On the jetpack - any golden or chromed metallic parts, such as details of the nozzles and the rocket (cylinder tops, fins), including beacon and stabilizer.
On the helmet - both ears, the rangefinder, and the back grill.

Some parts of the helmet and the jetpack are not textured. Parts that are NOT textured are:
On the jetpack - any golden or chromed metallic parts, such as details of the nozzles and the rocket (cylinder tops, fins), including beacon and stabilizer.
On the helmet - both ears, the rangefinder, and the back grill.
Good to know, thanks!

Do we know if the Shoulder, knees and vambraces are textured?

Last edited:
IIRC, the paint texture is called wrinkle.

Also, where can we find good quality pictures of the costume?

The pictures of the costume with the blue background I believe are video game images from Fortnite and not the actual costume. The other images are from Celebration 2022 and I believe D23 in 2020-2021?

It would be nice if we could get some real HD photos the next time the suit shows up on display someplace.

PUB-8F04.jpg

Good to know, thanks!

Do we know if the Shoulder, knees and vambraces are textured?
I am not sure, but I believe they are as well. The top rocket on the left arm is not or any of the details, just the burgundy color areas.
I'm just speculating. For the knees and shoulders, I expect probably the same thing.

I was wondering about the texture as well. I've been seeing a lot of different techniques used from drywall texture spray, truck bed liner texture spray, and even Bondo reduced with acetone that was stippled on with a brush. Some artists that I've seen really nail the texture haven't shared their own techniques yet. Gotta keep researching, but I hope you find a technique that works!

Edit - Looks like I'll try out that wrinkle-textured paint that was mentioned in this post!

I looked up some process videos on YT and the VHT Wrinkle Paint seems to be a winner. Since the paint weathering layers appear to be silver, grey then top color, I'm thinking a silver base paint, then using the grey crinkle paint and then the top Boba colors.

The tutorials suggest doing 3 full layers of wrinkle paint to get the full effect, one thin tack coat, then a layer applied vertically, one layer horizontally then one diagonal layer. They also suggest using a heat gun (used not real close because you don't want to burn the paint, or, in fact, melt your 3D printed armor...) to quick set and bring out the texture. One video suggested using the heat gun after every coat, but Duplicolor in their tutorial only used the heat gun at the end. Then you need to wait 48 hours for the paint to cure.

The paint runs "about" $20 a can. If I had to estimate, I'd say 2-3 cans for a whole Boba set including Pack. The pack is going to use the most paint of course. I'd estimate 1.5 Cans for the armor and helmet, and then 1-2 cans for the pack. Again, just theorizing as I haven't painted a suit yet.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back