Boba in the new-canon Marvel comics

squirk

Well-Known Hunter
I don’t really read the post-Disney Star Wars comics published by Marvel, so I know I am several years out of the loop on what’s been happening, but have they (Disney/Marvel) retconned Boba from the “anti-hero with a code” seen in Dark Horse to a more cold-blooded murderer, close in line with Cad Bane?

I stumbled upon an issue from back in 2015 where he is trying to find Luke on Tatooine. Boba knows he is looking for a young human pilot located somewhere on the planet, but does not know the man’s name.

There are several panels showing Boba killing a gang of Rodians (who had knives out, so maybe self-defense), but also killing a bunch of Jawas, and apparently some moisture farmers, all who could not or would not give him the name he needed.

Finally, he goes to Chalmun’s and spots a nervous teen who tries to flee. Fett catches him, beats the living crap out of him until the guy gives up Luke’s name, and then kills him in cold blood.

Is that how it is now with Boba Fett in the new continuity? Innocent people are wantonly murdered, even those people who give him what he wants? If so, I find that remarkably unappealing.

Oh man, I don't really remember that from the earlier released Star Wars Marvel comics. The newer one shot issues starring Jango Fett and the newest Boba Fett I feel do a better job at portraying Boba in a more positive anti-heroish vibe. In the Boba Fett issue, which has a pretty heavy western/gun slinger vibe, he does a good job maintaining some collateral damage and rescuing innocent bystanders that have been caught up in his hunt but at the end of the day is still in it for the money. Similar in the Jango Fett one off, young Boba leans a lesson in regards to trust the hard way a bit. If you haven't read those two one offs, I would recommend them.

Oh man, I don't really remember that from the earlier released Star Wars Marvel comics. The newer one shot issues starring Jango Fett and the newest Boba Fett I feel do a better job at portraying Boba in a more positive anti-heroish vibe. In the Boba Fett issue, which has a pretty heavy western/gun slinger vibe, he does a good job maintaining some collateral damage and rescuing innocent bystanders that have been caught up in his hunt but at the end of the day is still in it for the money. Similar in the Jango Fett one off, young Boba leans a lesson in regards to trust the hard way a bit. If you haven't read those two one offs, I would recommend them.

Thx. When you say the “newest” Boba one-shot, what year are we talking? The comic I read was 2015. Have they tried to retcon him since then?

Thx. When you say the “newest” Boba one-shot, what year are we talking? The comic I read was 2015. Have they tried to retcon him since then?

Age of Rebellion: Boba Fett (2019)

It's a single issue comic recently released.

Looks like this

I just happened to be in the comic store and ran into this new comic. I grabbed two other variant covers too. It might look cool to have the three in a frame. I agree, it was a good read before I sealed it up.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Maybe they had second thoughts about portraying him as an out-and-out murderer. That issue I came across was "Skywalker Strikes, Part V", I think. The fifth issue of the ongoing SW title that started in 2015.

Aaaaaaah yeah, I remember that now. It's certainly a little (???? lol) rough on his character for sure. The stand alone issues portray him in a better light than that for sure which is nice. For some reason it just seems hard for some people to portray him correctly (the first person novelization for example haha)

Unless they were intentionally trying to retcon him into something worse than Cad Bane, if not a complete sociopath, this was a total misfire.

Agreed. I think that could be why the writers of the Boba Fett one-shot took a little bit more of that anti-hero approach to Fett when working on that issue. We shall see what else comes down the pipe-line in the future but here's to hoping we get more of that old school EU feel.

Even in the Jango one-shot comic young Boba had to kill a couple merc's he was working with that double crossed him but left the third alive (after determining merc #3 played no part in the double cross) to spread his and Jango's name and reputation. Seemed even there if he wasn't paid to, and/or you didn't mess with him, he didn't mess with you.

Even in the Jango one-shot comic young Boba had to kill a couple merc's he was working with that double crossed him but left the third alive (after determining merc #3 played no part in the double cross) to spread his and Jango's name and reputation. Seemed even there if he wasn't paid to, and/or you didn't mess with him, he didn't mess with you.

Exactly. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking with this “Skywalker Strikes” characterization of Boba.

Really left a bad taste in my mouth. Can you tell?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back