Arden "Lucky" Fisk

As promised, a couple of shots of the sword in production. I was dumb and forgot to bring my camera to the shop the day I put it all together, so all I have is a photo of the parts before assembly and one of the rough painting after I got it back home.

The five layers in the first shot are what make up the blade-- facing layer, filler layer, tooth layer, filler layer, facing layer. I sandwiched them together with epoxy for a super bond, then sanded all the edges flush, hence the not-so-careful initial cutting job. I epoxied a bit of PVC pipe on as a handle, reinforced with screws, and the end of the handle is just a normal PVC endcap found at every hardware store ever.

The engine blocks were made from oak blocks, then put in place with glue and dowels, then all the greeblies got stuck on.

chainswordpre.jpg

chanswordpre2.jpg

dude yiou rock!

about time someone started to challenge my ego on its high throne for mando of the cool!

just kidding.

really nice work, and nice 40k chainsword you have there!

wow abby, that sword is vicious! well done!

of course, the weapons-seller, swordhandler in me screams "full tang, make it full tang or it'll fall apart the first time you hit something!". though i doubt you'll be beating on much with that.

WOW! This thread has been amazing to come back and see again and again. Everything you've done looks so tight and as you've said can stand close up inspection. Each piece you've produced just looks so right and I think (without taking anything away from your building skills) it comes down to your fantastic weathering, making everything look so real world. You really need to tell us how you do it, as that's one thing I always have bother with and the more hints and tips the better. This costume is gonna look so cool in so many ways when it's all together. 10 outta 10 :) :)

Dak- Yeah I'd have loved full tang, but I had a design change halfway through (basically was planning to do batteries in the handle as I was intending to wire some lights through it but decided not to) It is pretty tough though, as the handle protrudes another inch into the 'engine block' as well as being slotted into the blade, and it's all held strong with dowels, so it should take general wear and tear alright. The teeth are a good flexible plastic, so they should be alright, but even still I wouldn't want to go whacking things with it. :D

SinisterFett- Thanks, I really do love doing weathering! You can check my tutorial, it's a sticky up at the top of the Variant forum. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get off my butt and finish it, it's about 2/3 done.

:eek:
wow, everything from the concept art to the actual mando is...:eek:
very impressive, can't wait to see the concept art come to life...more pictures please!
(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wish is my command. ;)

These are the gauntlets. I like the Fett standard gauntlets, but I wanted something a bit lighter and with less bulk around the forearms, as I imagine they might get in the way a bit while swordfighting and skulking, which Arden specializes in.

The base is some pretty generic, but high-quality, leather medieval-style bracers I bought online. They're easy as pie to slip on, and don't move around once they are on. A plus!

The 'machinery' doohickies on top are just carved from a bit of pine, with a few little greeblies from the junk drawer added on. I greatly admire all you Mandos with the working parts in your gauntlets, that's so cool... I, on the other hand, know nothing about wiring, so the best I'd be able to do is mount a flashlight or laser pointer to the outside, which I may actually end up doing. We'll see.

I guess the most interesting thing with these gauntlets is the writing all over them. I wanted to convey that Arden is a girl who relies heavily on tradition (or superstition, however you want to look at it ;) ) and so she has meaningful texts written on her armor, much like many of history's great warriors have done. I'd translate for you, but it's a personal thing.

gauntlets1.jpg

gauntlets2.jpg

gauntlets3.jpg

gauntlets4.jpg

Those are nice. I hadn't really thought about useing bracers for the gauntlets. Thats a good idea.

Heheh any one want me to translate them? I can read that rather easily if I want to take the time... Man I am a geek.

Goodness.. This entire thread is awe inspiring.

First you start with a really cool concept, and the drawing is really nice as well. Then you go on to make better and better renderings, which I have to say are works of art on their own.

On top of it all your armor is ridiculously awesome, both in concept and execution. Great job painting. shoot.. great job on EVERYTHING

Looks nice. It looks like your using a grinder or something to shape your pieces.
One trick I use is glue sintra or a plastic together like plywood, and then grind it, and it doesnt have a woodgrain texture.

Or you could whipe some bondo cream on it, to fill in the woodgrain.

As always though, looks great.

Stormrider, after you pointed out the woodgrain, I couldn't unsee it! Don't know how I didn't even really register it when I looked at the pieces in the first place, but I'm only human I guess! Anyways, I've since sealed up the wood parts with a few more coats of paint to smooth them out and get rid of the grain. I also installed some (non working) LEDs to them, so they at least LOOK like they can light up!

Looks nice. It looks like your using a grinder or something to shape your pieces.
One trick I use is glue sintra or a plastic together like plywood, and then grind it, and it doesnt have a woodgrain texture.

Or you could whipe some bondo cream on it, to fill in the woodgrain.

As always though, looks great.
Cream or white Latex paint covered brushed on with wood stain works the best for that situation.

Sorry if I made you focus too intently on it, its just one of the things that my eye is always drawn too. I truely love your work though.

The LED's you can do some cool stuff with it.

If you go to radio shack, you can buy LED's and Resistors. You literally hook a resister to one wire of the led and then to the battery. The other wire straight to the battery, and it will light up. Without the resistor you will pop the LED.

Its simple and safe, and youll enjoy it. You can buy LED's that are wired to blink also. Hook them the same way.

Soldering (the basics) is easy also.

The basic is take two wires. Touch the solder and iron to one wire and get some solder on it (called tinning it). Then hold the two wires together, touch the soldering iron to both, if you have enough tin they will bond. You may need to touch the solder to the gun/wire, itwill drop and harden instantly.

Get a $7 soldering gun, comes with a roll of solder, and just play with two wires from your stereo. Just dont breath the smoke. Its not good for you:)

More updates pls;)
Mason

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back