3D Mandalorian Helmet Too Small

Reygirl

New Hunter
Hey all, I’m making my first Mandalorian cosplay based off Mando’s first set of armour. I got my helmet 3D printed but it’s just slightly too small that my nose presses against the visor. I had the guy print it based on my ear to ear dimensions, but forgot to measure my nose to back dimensions.

I’m not sure how to proceed. I already widened the eye holes slightly and tipped it forward, but I don’t have to wear the helmet for very long before my nose starts hurting. Before painting, I tried stretching the back with a heat gun, but it’s too thick and just created a bulge in the back.

I can’t get it reprinted either. Too expensive and the guy already gave me a deal for getting it printed too large the first time!

I’m trying to think of ways of stretching the front panels forward slightly, which allows the visor to come forward a few millimetres. I’m not sure if there’s something I can brace the sides against?

I also thought maybe I could change it into a clamshell helmet, by cutting off part of the back to give me some more room. This Mandalorian helmet doesn’t have the bar along the back like Boba Fett’s, so it would no longer be screen accurate. I’m willing to do it if it means my nose stops hurting.

Let me know if you have any better ideas. Thanks!

Note: I haven’t attached the visor or removed the plastic backing yet, so it looks like there are scratches in the visor in my photo, but there aren’t.

A2A8EE67-54FB-41D1-91B1-016F02CAB3E5.jpeg

What's the measurement from the back to the front where your nose is?

Thanks for the reply.

My measurements are just shy of 22 cm front to back at the nose. The helmet with the visor is 20.5 cm at that same point inside, but I might be able to shave off a bit from the back. The panel at the back has a depth of 0.5 cm.

A78E3006-839C-4BF2-A46F-99DB2690C3C9.jpeg
A83D0812-998E-4FC4-8702-48410BD7C6C5.jpeg
01CA6922-5FE5-4288-8081-9920DD7491A2.jpeg

Yeah, it looks like you could do some trimming on it some. Let me look at mine tomorrow...I'll check back afterward

I would remove as much material in that area as possible. A little bit can make a big difference. Your nose may still touch the visor, but hopefully it won’t be to the point of hurting. The only other good option would be to reprint one a little bigger. I wouldn’t suggest using the heat gun on it anymore or clamshelling it.

I just measured mine, it's 22.54cm inside to the visor... You might be good enough by shaving the back as much as possible.

Last edited:
I just measured mine, it's 22.54cm inside to the visor... You might be good enough by shaving the back as much as possible.

I had my helmet printed at a small size due to my stature, so the dimensions are just slightly smaller than your helmet.

I managed to sand down the back section, so it’s better than before. I think too that I should attach my visor now, because it’s possible that if it is fixed towards the front, instead of just resting, I’ll gain a few more millimetres there too. Might try thinning out the front panel slightly too.

I can see that clamshelling or using the heat gun could be a bad idea. Besides destroying the paint, it could impair the integrity of the printed material.

Thanks for the replies! It’s helped me work through things with like-minded people.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back