My first build, going ESB!

Hey all,

After going through a lot other users' threads, I was inspired to attempt to build up my own ESB Fett costume.

I'll update later to throw up my spreadsheet. Hopefully you all can chime in on things I may be missing, or something I screwed up on. All forms of criticism will be appreciated :)

Received my RS props armor from woodman a few weeks ago.
wuO4GQc.jpg rXiC0dU.jpg

I first started cleaning up the left chest plate last weekend. Tried to trim the excess down to about 1/8".
fkGPJah.jpg cSvxPde.jpg

This took a lot longer than I had expected, mostly because I decided to prep and trim on the same day. Sooo.. Decided to prep the rest of the pieces tonight so I can do the clean-up and priming this weekend.

(Shoulder bells)
AUwLvLg.jpg

(Kidney plate)
PeCm4bx.jpg MaIum4b.jpg

(Codpiece)
xJi2xu1.jpg GwbXwI3.jpg

(Right chest plate w/ comparison)
Zu694wK.jpg DX9ze4A.jpg

(Abs)
I2RMyt8.jpg 3UvZ9UM.jpg

I'm about to get started on that same armor.....did you/are you using a dremel to trim it or are you doing it by hand? I'm a bit nervous to bust out the dremel as one little slip could ruin some armor. Any tips?

I'm about to get started on that same armor.....did you/are you using a dremel to trim it or are you doing it by hand? I'm a bit nervous to bust out the dremel as one little slip could ruin some armor. Any tips?
Cut off as much as you can with sciccors then Use the small sanding wheel on the Dremel it does the job . Using the tape to give you a straight line iis the work of a genius ......I used pencil

I was a bit nervous at first, but after watching a few vids and reading some posts, I just went for it. Just make sure you measure it out, and line it with electrical tape. I used the dremel's cutting disk to get to about 1/2" for the tape, then used the sander wheel to get it as close to the tape as possible. When sanding it down with the dremel, I recommend not doing it all in one go. I found these videos extremely helpful.

Cut off as much as you can with sciccors then Use the small sanding wheel on the Dremel it does the job . Using the tape to give you a straight line iis the work of a genius ......I used pencil
I got the idea to use tape from GCNgamer's videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaand my Fettronics display arrived this afternoon!
ObEB8N5.jpg

If anyone could provide tips as to where exactly the slots need to be, that would be great :p

Thanks, RafalFett! I looked those over, but it doesn't tell me where exactly to make the cuts. I now know how big the cuts need to be, but the where is what I'm still left wondering.

I think I read somewhere that someone had used WoF's, or even yours, templates as a good reference tool. Would you recommend this?

That's awesome thank you , any tips on cutting it out ?

I'm no expert on preparing hard parts, but from what I know you have to drill some holes in key points, like all the corners and along the lines (it is important that the holes to be inside the rectangular shape and not on its contour), then using a circular cutting tool or a hacksaw you have to cut along the contour; the finishing touches are made with a rectangular file.

Been awhile, but here some pics of what I was able to get through last weekend, and today.

Currently working on the kidney plate, both shoulder bells, the right chest piece, and the center diamond. Put down two coats of primer, wet sanded smooth, a third coat of primer, and wet sanded smooth again with 800 grit sand paper.
731EcAw.jpg

I let that dry over night, and started airbrushing the first layer of metallic silver (Humbrol #11). I let the first coat dry throughout the week, and applied the second coat this afternoon. I will probably leave these in this state until I apply two coats of silver on the remaining pieces. I have already applied two coats of primer on the codpiece, hopefully ready for paint tomorrow afternoon.
c3AJC4q.jpg t2jKJgh.jpg Tbszb85.jpg JOEvew6.jpg

Looking good dude.

the dark side

Thanks!

On a side note - Can anyone make a recommendation on boots? I'm currently having trouble deciding on getting either the MoW 2015 runs or the CABoots version. Besides the major difference of the black center line, the front of the MoW boots appear to be more squared whereas the CABoots appear to be more rounded.

Which do you all prefer as being comfortable wearing/standing in for long periods of time, and screen accuracy?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back