Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESB Chest Display Sequence

From
    Galati, Romania

ESB Chest Display Sequence

I posted some of these informations here ==> Mauricemeyer's Chest Display Project but because there are much to say about the chest display, I decided to do a new thread.
    It's hard to tell how many sequences are (were) in total, but looking to the ESB stills from the Gallery and the screen captures (my own too) I managed to do a 7 step sequence and even to calculate a time period between most of these sequences.

chest-display-sequence-jpg

Note that the images in the right side are not included in the final sequence because I didn't saw it used in any of the scenes.
    The first six sequences are from one of the carbon chamber scenes while the 7th sequence is from the dining room scene:

esb-sequence-04-jpg esb-sequence-01-jpg

Other scenes that prove these sequences are the following ones:

esb-sequence-02-jpg esb-sequence-05-jpg esb-sequence-03-jpg

I can't tell for sure wich kind of digi characters they used, but for me is this type:

esb-digi-2-jpg

(Note: as described in the update, the correct LED character is the same for the ESB and ROTJ, and the one presented above is a good replacement, but not accurate)

This is the sequence with the time periods between them, wich I calculated watching the first scene (the carbon chamber one) frame by frame.

chest-display-sequence-mine-jpg chest-display-sequence-new-gif

Note that the first and the last two sequence's time period is approximated because the scene didn't show the full sequence.

Non ESB Hero chest display facts
    --------------------------------
    It seems that for ROTJ they used other type of digital characters:

rotj-chest-display-jpgrotj-stunt-chest-display-jpg

The first chest display is the ROTJ Hero (a repainted ESB Promo #1 chest plate) while the second image is a ROTJ Stunt (the repainted ESB Hero chest plate)

(Note: as described in the update, the LED character used on the ROTJ is the same as the ESB Hero)

Another strange thing is that for the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 they used only 4 digits (these were only prototypes), and the same scheme was present on the Pre-Pro #3 too (if the images don't lie):

pre-pro-1-chest-display-jpg esb-promo-chest-display-jpg pre-pro-3-chest-display-jpg

But for the Pre-Pro #2 (and maybe for the other two ESB Promo suits too?) it seems that they already used the 5 digit chest display:

pre-pro-2-chest-display-jpg

------------------------------------
    Update 21-02-2013
    Did some digging regarding the chest display components using this MoM image as an example:

rotj-original-chest-display-jpg

Here is what I found as correct parts for the chest light board:

vintage-7-segment-led-display-jpg encased-1mm-led-bar-jpg

On the first image the 7 segment display is noted with 7.62mm height but the graphical representation has a 9mm height (possibly for a better view of each segment).

These images shows the perfect fit of the found parts:

boba-fett-correct-chest-display-jpg correct-chest-display-jpg

And some comparison images of the ESB Hero chest light:

esb-chest-lights-jpg

The only chest lights that is close to this setup is the ShackMan style board which had 5 piece of 7 segment LED display (with the dots positioned vertical) and 20 piece of 2mm wide LED bars:

shackman-chest-light-jpg

(Photo by stormtrooperguy)

Although there are some pretty good and cheap replacement parts for these boards, I would love to see a chest light made with these components.

This is my interpretation of the ESB (and non ESB) chest display and its sequence and is in no way a 100% proven statement.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Feb 23, 2013 at 2:05 AM. Reason: Moved the updated info from post #3 to the end of this post.

From
    Northern California

Re: ESB Chest Display Sequence

Nice detective work once again. This is the sequence I came up with, by no means is it perfect but I did spend some decent time going through stills and the movie in HD.

Boba Fett fettronics light board - YouTube

From
    Galati, Romania

Moved the whole content (as an update) to the end of the first post to preserve the info in one place.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Feb 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Content moved to the first post.

From
    Pennsylvania

I think those LEDs are going to be the hardest part to find. I wonder what chips they used to get the sequences.

From
    Galati, Romania

Jc27 said: View Post
    I think those LEDs are going to be the hardest part to find. I wonder what chips they used to get the sequences.
    The only way to know this is if we could disassemble the ROTJ Hero (MoM, DaG and SWtE) or the ROTJ Stunt (AoSW or C-IV) left chest plates and see what's behind it. But I would also like to see what's behind the Pre-Pro #1 left chest plate too (the armor presented on the Blu-Ray extra), because this setup has a 4 LED display in the lower section and the upper section is still unknown, because we don't know if there are 20 LED bars or less, or possibly other type of LEDs.

From
    Pennsylvania

I've been ordering some electronic parts lately and my new catalogs just came in. I will look through them to see if I can find a comparable LED. If I do I will list the part number.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Does shaman still make boards? I see hyperdyne labs finally came back online, so at least he makes the bards even though they aren't as accurate.

From
    Pennsylvania

I found the LED. It's a kingbright LED part number WP1053HDT. Newark electronics doesn't carry it, but mouser electronics may be able to order it. Kingbright sells them but I'm not sure how much they are. Woo hoo I helped find a part!

I just submitted an order to Kingbright for the LEDs. I have the 7 segment displays on hand. I will start R&D once I get the LEDs in.

From
    Pennsylvania

Cool. Are you going to be using custom chips or off the shelf ones for the sequencing?

I use PIC chips for my boards. That allows me to program the sequence to whatever is wanted.

From
    Adelaide, Australia

IM interested in one of these for my costume. What kinds of things can be programed in the sequence?

From
    Galati, Romania

ChrisTheArtist said: View Post
    IM interested in one of these for my costume. What kinds of things can be programed in the sequence?
    Fettronics has a program which allows you to program any sequence in any order you want (up to 20 steps ==> Fettronics - Board Sequence Builder) then you must save the sequence settings and send it to him to program the chest display for you.

From
    Adelaide, Australia

RafalFett said: View Post
    Fettronics has a program which allows you to program any sequence in any order you want (up to 20 steps ==> Fettronics - Board Sequence Builder) then you must save the sequence settings and send it to him to program the chest display for you.
    This is seriously cool. I will purchase one this week. Thanks.

I wanted to show this off. I have enough components to make 5 of these. They will be $55 + shipping. You pick the sequence. 4 AA Battery pack.

dsc_0275-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

Wow! It looks great!

Thanks. If anyone wants one of the 5, please PM me. I'm not sure if this will be the end of the run, or if I'll make more (after sourcing more components). We'll see what the demand is with these.

From
    Darwin River Northern Territory

what would be the sipping to Oz, one of the few things I need.
    cheers Rob

From
    Cloud City

hmmm would ESB be a good version for the supertrooper?

RobaFett, shipping within the US is $5.80. Shipping Outside the US runs $23.95 for non-tracked USPS.

Megatron, check out the sequence Tsophica posted above.
    Last edited by Fettronics; Apr 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM.

From
    Galati, Romania

Megatron said: View Post
    hmmm would ESB be a good version for the supertrooper?
    Normally no, because the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 left chest plate had a 4 character display and not 5 as the rest of the suits, but in lack of the correct chest display, I think a 5 character display will do the trick.

I have one light set left. Megatron, were you wanting it? Please PM me and let me know if you do.

From
    Pennsylvania

Will you be making more? Hopefully you will because your kits look sweet and as far as I know you are the only one that makes them.

i have a custom programmed one from Fettronics and i cant say enough good things about the board, AND his service. unbeatable, you wont regret buying from Fettronics!

I haven't decided if I'll be making more of this series or not. I used up what stock I had of the 7 segment displays. I might handle production of these as special additon runs every once in a while. I'll always have the V3 version, which has the stightly larger 7 segment displays. You can check those out on my web site, Home - Fettronics Star Wars Boba Fett Mando Mandolorian Costume Custom Light Boards.

From
    France

Amazing job Rafal! I can't imagine how much patience and time you needed to have these results.
    Thanks for another great contribution for the community !