Official Jet Pack Rocket/Missile

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
hi robert

The best way to make sure its permantly fixed is to small holes 1mm-2mm dia about half way into the fin then superglue the metal pins into it.

Make sure youve got about 10mm of pin sticking out of the fin. to allow for trimming.

Then drills some more holes into the rocket at the same spaces that you drilled into the fin and glue it into place.

This will provide extra strength when fixed and locks it into place, ive recenty done this on my Spiddey blaster kit where theres 2 fins on either side of blaster.

hope it helps

cheers

Neil
starwars20.ico

uk-scout TB7290
www.uk-scout.co.uk
ukbikerscout@hotmail.com
ukboba%20banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I was looking at my trashy lava lamp last night, with a few modifacations it looks like it should make for a pefect shape for the missile.

Haha I dunno if I would need to use the glass part actually.

can somebody shoot me a pic of their rocket tip with the fins? how many does it have? or post it here. thanks

It has three.The pre-pro had a grappling hook type rocket where the fins come out.It just boils down to when the cast it for extra packs/rockets the grappling hooks became "fins".I machined mine out of aluminum in the shape of the hooks for a little flare ;)

Steve

I' don't know, but the Jet Pack I have has 4. I believe that the original has 4 fins total.

Tylerdurden is the one with the right answer for you.

Robert

I need to fix some parts on my Fett jet pack. It's a fiberglass version, but the rocket is made out of resin.

I suppose bondo is the way to go, but would like to hear your suggestions, as I've never used bondo, or sculpted anything, for that matter and has a big chunk missing, as you may see in the first picture.

The rocket is the part that needs more repair time, it has ugly bubbles on the bottom part and a not so pretty seam on the side, plus one part on the tip looks like if it was sanded down or something.

The part that needs fixing on the jet pack is the little grill at the bottom, but since it's fiberglass, I don't know if it needs a different approach.

Also, what is the best way to attach the rocket to the jet pack? It seems like you need to scew it to the jet pack, but it's kinda tight and I'm scared I might crack the fiberglass in the process.

Here are some pics:

Rocket

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Jet Pack

4.jpg

The only way to fix the rocket is to fill the holes with bondo. There is no magic there, it is pretty straight forward. Mix up a small amount of filler with some of the catalyst & use a scar piece of plastic as a spreader & work it into the holes. Don't build up the areas too much or you will have more work to do sanding it off. I wouldn't worry too much about filling everything, once it gets painted & weathered the small holes will not be apparent. The seam lines could probably be sanded smooth if they are not too far out of whack.

As far as attaching the rocket to the body, I siliconed in a pvc pipe in the body with a plumbing fitting that would allow me to take the rocket off for transportation.
suit components 024.jpg

Just take your time & it can be made into a beautiful thing! My JP was in pretty rough shape & the rocket was broken in two pieces when I received it.(The rocket was purchased from ebay & not the original kit maker)

Thansk a lot for your tips! :)

I like the PVC detachable rocket idea! I wouldn't like to have it permanently attached. I think I'll go that route. :)

Thanks!

Again, I wouldn't get too carried away with fixing the small holes in the grill. Paint & weathering hide alot!
suit components 020.jpg

Ok first off I am knew to these boards. So hello everyone. Well here is my problem, I just purchased an fiber glass / resen(?spelling?) Jet Pack off of Ebay. Everything on the pack is great, except one thing, the rocket. When I saw the pics on Ebay it looked great. Here is the issue. You know how it is supposed to be round, well it is not. The rocket is more of an ovel shape, so it looks sort of funny. I did not mention that it is a kit. Actually it is very oval shaped and looks okward. I am really mad because I spent $300 dollars on it. So what I need is a new rocket, I have everything else. Can someone please help me, please. PM me if you can help thanks. Oh yea I was sanding the pack part today, and of course I was not paying attention and I sanded a really small, itsy bitsy hole in it. It will be really easy to fix. What should I use to fix it?

Thanks for all the help :D.

Well, I have seen this type of pack, and yes, it looks ovicular :p You could always try to make your own out of found parts. As to the hole, Bondo will work. You can find that at any auto parts store. You can get a small can, it comes with the actavator you need to mix with it, The stuff is really easy to use and sand. Good luck :D

With lots of work (and sandpaper), you can eventually sand the rocket so that it is round. It's a pain, but cheaper than a new resin rocket would be. Resin is expensive, especially the amount needed to make a rocket. ;)

Bondo will patch the hole. After you fill it, start with some 100 grade sandpaper and work your way up to about 600. If you do it right, no one will ever know once it's painted! :D

Sanding it round, would be cool, but then wouldn't it be to thin? Also if I do sand it I will lose alot of the details in it. It is just not the top, of the rocket, it is the whole thing. I don't care about buying a new rocket, I just need to have my pack and costume done before C3. I just wan't it to look good. I don't care what material it is made out of, resen, fiber glass, anything as long as it looks good. I have thought about using the oval roacket, it doesn't too bad, but it doesn't look great either.

You could build up the flatter portions of the rocket with the bondo ;) Then sand it.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back