Recreating which suit?

Rogue Studios

Active Hunter
I was surfing around doing my daily Fett research and making sure I maintain my nerdychlorines on Fett. And looking at the photos I'm seeing the condition of the suits really deteriorating and just plain falling apart and gathering extra scratches. I mean if you wanted to recreate what is or was on tour it's like you have to recreate how it looked at that particular time because 5 years from now it's going to look radically different if you try to keep up with wear and tear of the real suit.

I'm painting 2 helmets presently and the 2 gents having me do these have choose to have ESB helmets as they appeared on screen. And I thought is this a new trend with the suits looking different on each exhibition might as well have one that looks more familiar when before it was make it like the tour suits. Don't get me wrong I love this idea.

Another good example is if you make the undersuit light gray as it is today it's not correct to when the suits were brand new in blue/gray. So if you go the light gray what suit have you made? since these are fading quickly and will be almost white again in no time (a bit exagerative).

Anyway, I'm producing all the parts of my suit as if they are brand new and then taking them down to the point I need to. I'm going to make a PP2 for sure and I want to recreate how it looked then and not how it would look now. Anyway I hope this makes sense and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this.

Lee

I've tried to lock in to the MoM suit... lots of clear references to it, particularly the helmet. That at least gives me a single, cohesive look to go for.

I love seeing all of the variations on that spectrum that people go for... from the true movie purists to the idealized amalgamations of them all.

I know where you are coming from Lee. I have been watching the JB project and I always feel everything is too clean, but when I go back and look at original ref... it IS pretty clean! My prob is I have been staring at exhibit pics for so long that lots of additional damage and weathering seems the norm to me when the truth is, the original suits weren't nearly that weathered.

It's like before you critque a suit you almost need a run down of what the maker was trying to achive before proceeding with a fair commentary.

Lee

I think the most sad part is what you said to begin with... The suits are getting worse. I have noticed it too. For all the supposed "handling with white gloves" they are taking more damage as they travel from show to show. Wish they would just put them back on permanent display at the Smithsonian or something...

I agree and it would be odd to troop in an ESB Fett costume that is clean. given that the rest of the parts are damaged and scratched up. how could you not add things like soot from the thrusters onto the suit. not to mention the everyday marks from opening pockets and using the shin tools. are we really to believe that Fett washed his clothes all the time?

It's not just the clothes, it's the armor. I'm sure those scratches on the side of the abdomen plate are from the rifle stock constantly rubbing against it, and were not originally painted on. So it becomes an issue when deciding whether or not to add this detail.

It's not just the clothes, it's the armor. I'm sure those scratches on the side of the abdomen plate are from the rifle stock constantly rubbing against it, and were not originally painted on. So it becomes an issue when deciding whether or not to add this detail.

EXACTLY. I know for a fact that really happens to my armor in that same exact location. I get scratches all the time from the rifle.

I had the same initial reaction to the JB Project the first time I saw the parts painted up. It looks too clean to me. It's because I've gotten so used to seeing the suit as it is NOW or how it was 5 years ago instead of what it used to be.

I've been trooping in my suit for just about 2 years or so with very little upgrading since I finnished the current version. I can't believe how much damage has occured to it, and it definately does not look the same as when I first finnished it. The coveralls in particular seem to fade very fast!!!! That is one part that I have to constantly re-dye between washings etc. My armour looks horrible too!!!! tons of scrapes & scratches that weren't originally there!!! My backplate has huge wear marks from the JP harness rubbing against it. Personally Lee, I would really like to see your suit done as how it originally looked.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back