Velcro method on gauntlets

animattor

Hunter
I have my new MOW taunts and want to use the Velcro method, mostly cause I am running low on funds and I have Velcro can some one post a pic of how this works, thanks
Matt

I don't think there is overlap built into the MoW gauntlets to do this. Pretty thick shells on these, think they even used to come with hinges but aren't supplied anymore.

So to do Velcro they have to overlap.....ahh that makes sense now. I guess I have no choice but to do a hinge. Will any hinge work as long as it's small?

You can find it at lowes or Home Depot for pretty cheap. Like 3 ft sections, available in the hardware aisle or around cabinet hardware.
cruzer has a good tutorial on how to install them. The working hinge should be on the inside of the gauntlet( towards your body) and the clasping hinge glued/epoxied into place after the working one is done. Can be done without drilling, just using superglue or the right epoxy. I prefer a good surface prep and JB Weld over mechanical fasteners.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can still overlap- if you have small arms. Hot water and heat gun to curve the upper/lower shell to overlap. The resin warps when heat is applied. Plenty of how to's on the site to do the hinge method. I put up a WIP on MoW Gaunts. If you have any questions don't be shy to ask.

You can still make a hinge with out a piano hinge. If you really want to use Velcro, you can use the industrial strength and it is maybe 1.5 inches wide, i am guessing. cut a piece the length of the gauntlet and then cut one side in half along the length. You should then have 3 pieces. one of the small pieces on each side and you put them together and put the other piece to connect them. I am not saying it is the best method but it worked on some Death watch gauntlets i helped a friend with that are vac formed. I would advocate for the piano hinge method but i just wanted to share a viable alternative.

Buy two sets for each gauntlet! There's a dimple that puts pressure on the pin for retention. It'll make it so much easier to slide the pin in and out using the smooth link sides. It'll make more sense when you look at the hinge Links.

Christian stopped supplying the hinges some time ago. If you approach it kinda slowly it is quite easy to install, using just epoxy like JB weld. Just make sure if you do use hinges to really know the left from the right gauntlet, and install the actuating hinge on the inside seam, towards your body, otherwise the flamethrower gets in the way, and this also keeps the outside edge closer together as that hinge is installed with the hinge seam inside the gauntlet.

Did the double hinge method. Both sides of my gaunts have the hinges on the inside and I remove the hinge to open them, just like real armor. You need a "squire" to help put the pins in them but they are solid. I really like it and the side look clean with no hinge visible. Pics soon

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic

image.jpg

Double pin... Hmmmm... Is your kindergarten class room doubling as a Mandalorian armor construction factory? Hahahahaha are you going to reinforce those bad boys? (Fiberglass/Urethane?)

It's my art room, lol and yes the kids have gotten see various stages of my build as part of a recycled art project, costuming project, painting, and it's just cool lol. No reinforcement and I love the double pin personally.

I like the method. Never thought about that. Bet you could still put them on by yourself without too much trouble.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back