Best method to weather ROTJ flight suit?

bobawife

New Hunter
If you’ve finished a flight suit you’re proud of, how did you find best to weather it? I’ve seen multiple methods of spray paints, airbrush guns, shoe polish, dyes, down to ACTUAL dirt (would just wash right out). Trying to find out what would be best method. I’m using a red kap coverall (65% polyester, 35% combed cotton). Pockets made of similar material makeup and I’m adding on short sleeves from a scrub top I found on Amazon. Still deciding on how complicated to make the dyeing process before weathering. Hoping I can make this budget fett look good!

bobawife
For me, it was using my airbrush and Tamiya's XF-1 "Flat Black" paint. My worry was always adding too much. I kid you not, I questioned myself constantly during. So much so that, I kept doing this after almost every small spritz of paint....
Painting.gif

Step 1: Spray
Step 2: Step back and look
<Repeat as needed>

Ultimately, I got the look I was after. But here's the other worry....How do you wash the flight suit without ruining the paint job? I got to about 15 troops with it before I was like this is just nasty. Cause to get rid of the body odor you'd have to spray it with Febreze.
:oops::lol:
Febreze is a band-aid that only lasts so long.

I took mine to a dry cleaners - with the full intent on having to re-do my work. They actually called me up and said we cant get this stain totally out, would you like for us to run it through our machine again? I said "No, actually I just want a clean article of clothing, the stain I want to keep as it is a costume." They were like "Oh, ok, well its ready to be picked up then!" Hahaha!

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!
:cool:(y)

-Iron

The easiest method of doing this is to use heavily diluted acrylic paint in a spray bottle. ( I used the cheap acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby) You wet the fabric first so the paint will bleed into the fabric evenly. I hung mine outside and sprayed it down with a water hose first and then began applying the paint via spray bottle, slowly building up until I was happy. If I messed up somewhere, I could simply spray it off with the hose. Once I liked it, I let it dry out.

bobawife
For me, it was using my airbrush and Tamiya's XF-1 "Flat Black" paint. My worry was always adding too much. I kid you not, I questioned myself constantly during. So much so that, I kept doing this after almost every small spritz of paint....
View attachment 236763

Step 1: Spray
Step 2: Step back and look
<Repeat as needed>

Ultimately, I got the look I was after. But here's the other worry....How do you wash the flight suit without ruining the paint job? I got to about 15 troops with it before I was like this is just nasty. Cause to get rid of the body odor you'd have to spray it with Febreze.
:oops::lol:
Febreze is a band-aid that only lasts so long.

I took mine to a dry cleaners - with the full intent on having to re-do my work. They actually called me up and said we cant get this stain totally out, would you like for us to run it through our machine again? I said "No, actually I just want a clean article of clothing, the stain I want to keep as it is a costume." They were like "Oh, ok, well its ready to be picked up then!" Hahaha!

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!
:cool:(y)

-Iron
I’m definitely going to be purchasing a cheap airbrush since it seems needed for much of the build. That’s what I’m concerned about, I don’t want to have to redo hours of meticulous weathering every time it’s worn! I’ve heard spraying it down with alcohol gets the job done alright though without needing to wash.

The easiest method of doing this is to use heavily diluted acrylic paint in a spray bottle. ( I used the cheap acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby) You wet the fabric first so the paint will bleed into the fabric evenly. I hung mine outside and sprayed it down with a water hose first and then began applying the paint via spray bottle, slowly building up until I was happy. If I messed up somewhere, I could simply spray it off with the hose. Once I liked it, I let it dry out.
I just saw the watered down acrylic paint method today, I like the idea of applying wet and using a spray bottle. Much less tedious than what I saw. Can you wash it pretty easily without ruining it? I’m sure you haven’t washed it too much but from what I understand acrylic paint doesn’t move too much in the wash

I just saw the watered down acrylic paint method today, I like the idea of applying wet and using a spray bottle. Much less tedious than what I saw. Can you wash it pretty easily without ruining it? I’m sure you haven’t washed it too much but from what I understand acrylic paint doesn’t move too much in the wash
I’ve washed it once on gentle cycle and it lightened up a little, so I had to add some more to it.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back