To servo or not to servo

e3kehoe

Active Hunter
That is the question. On one hand it is pretty cool to have but on the other it adds a lot of weight to the helmet. And also is kinda pain in the ass to install. So I would love to here from people on there opinions both for and against. Maybe even how often you actually use it?

Being a person that sells a servo kit, I may seem biased, but they are pretty cool. I have an older FP helmet and with the servo installed, I can't get the helmet over my big melon. I plan on getting a new helmet down the road and hopefully the new helmet will have a bit more room inside. I am still working on a bracket for the servo that will allow for the removal and reinstall of the servo ( i have a prototype of the bracket in my helmet). I think the hardest part of the servo kit install is figuring out the best way to attach the stalk to the servo. With an aluminum stalk, its easier since you cna drill and tap a hole and use a set screw to hold the stalk in place, but there isn't a steady supplier of aluminum stalks (especially hollow ones).
I plan on making my servo kits an ongoing run, but I am also trying to find ways to improve it as well to make the installation as easy as possible.

Gotta say that having the servo definitely gets that extra "wow" from kids big and small when trooping. I don't think it takes up that much room in the helmet and once it's installed there is no need to touch it :)

Totally worth it.

I have a animefan FP premium helmet, and have mounted some small screws inside for the servo:

mount.jpg

using the bolts to adjust the servo orientation. There's no appreciable weight added, compared to the helmet itself, although I went for a "custom" servo, the Blue Bird BMS-706MG.

I am very happy with the result, and as DeathProof says, nothing compares to the rangefinder operation in action (although this is definitely a stray from "screen-accurate").

Alright so I went ahead and added the servo ! I'm feeling pretty accomplished about it! Thanks for the input! It is a tight squeeze in the lid but luckily I have a small noodle lol

can i see someones servo setup?????? very confused and would like to know how to do it. is the servo mated to it or is there linkage rod?

can i see someones servo setup?????? very confused and would like to know how to do it. is the servo mated to it or is there linkage rod?

Servo setup is highly dependent on the servo system being used.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atlau34rjaf8ms9/AABU8JnjBfrLggz8qKRyqpfOa?dl=0

The above shows instructions for the JC27 remote rangefinder that I use in my helmet. His sales thread is available here. Salamander also sells one. You of course can create your own version...but then you would have to design it.

Servo setup is highly dependent on the servo system being used.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atlau34rjaf8ms9/AABU8JnjBfrLggz8qKRyqpfOa?dl=0

The above shows instructions for the JC27 remote rangefinder that I use in my helmet. His sales thread is available here. Salamander also sells one. You of course can create your own version...but then you would have to design it.

designing it isnt going to be an issue (planning on using arduino and having a few bells and whistles in the helmet such as a small very simple digital clock so i can at least see what time it is. will have to do a post on that if anyone is interested) but in this cas just looking for how to physically mount it. thanks

designing it isnt going to be an issue (planning on using arduino and having a few bells and whistles in the helmet such as a small very simple digital clock so i can at least see what time it is. will have to do a post on that if anyone is interested) but in this cas just looking for how to physically mount it. thanks

Well you have one picture shown above. Here is how mine looks inside...Its mounted with JBWeld.

20150527_231407.jpg

ooo another question if i may where did you get the fans and in what way is the exhaust

That's a slightly older picture of my bucket on the inside. The fans are Evilboy fans, his thread can be found via simple searches. I have since added an additional 4 AA battery pack (positioned slightly to the right of the box with the sticker visible) to the fan setup for added capacity. I have had the fans run non-stop for 7 hours and they use rechargeable batteries like a champ.

The fans suck air in the side and blow it out a specific exit. Currently the fans are oriented upwards in the back of my helmet to promote airflow. Air gets sucked in from the base (aka outside) of the helmet and pushed upwards. My helmet doesn't fog up when in use and its quite comfortable. The evilboy fans are actually relatively quite compared to other fans (something many don't think about).

That's a slightly older picture of my bucket on the inside. The fans are Evilboy fans, his thread can be found via simple searches. I have since added an additional 4 AA battery pack (positioned slightly to the right of the box with the sticker visible) to the fan setup for added capacity. I have had the fans run non-stop for 7 hours and they use rechargeable batteries like a champ.

The fans suck air in the side and blow it out a specific exit. Currently the fans are oriented upwards in the back of my helmet to promote airflow. Air gets sucked in from the base (aka outside) of the helmet and pushed upwards. My helmet doesn't fog up when in use and its quite comfortable. The evilboy fans are actually relatively quite compared to other fans (something many don't think about).

yeah i was actually thinking about that also concerned with noise some servos make when powered but not moving. i was thinking of getting fans like that (seen some from laptops) and pointing them at the visor at kind of an angle from each side (cheekish area) thx for the lead. i got a big head so i gotta find some LOPRO fans if i can same with the servo

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back