The. Worst. Movie. Ever. Made. - SPOILERS

so passing the hat is the appropriate symbol. It would be nice, however, if the hat got passed to someone who could actually carry the role.

I think the point is that those of us who did not like this scene did NOT think the passing of the hat is appropriate. We DON'T want to see the hat passed to anyone as we DON'T want to see someone else carry the role. Indy IS Harrison, not someone else.

Im not sure what the big problem is, its an Indy film and it felt like an Indy film.

The problem was for those of us who didn't like it is that it didn't feel or look like an Indy movie.

Dissappointed because its not what _you_ wanted is very egocentric.

I thought it was ok. It could have been better.

I have to remember that indiana jones is not my creation its someone elses.

Its very easy to fall in love with the ideal aspect of someone/thing, its different entirely to accept someone/thing for what it is.

The facts are it is what it is. The creators gave you exactly what their vision of it was. No one forced them to do anything any differently than they did. They had full creative control. So accept it or not, that IS indiana jones. So you dont really hate the movie, your saying you hate indiana jones.

I think id have different gripes if it was a movie made by someone other than the original minds behind it.

Its no better or worse than any of the other indies. Spare the first, because it was new. Fresh, and you didnt know where it was going.

The only way that this indy could have gone somewhere you didnt expect, would be to totally stray away from indy.

Like or or leave it, it is what it is.

Gentlemen...and ladies (if there any here reading this; after all, this is Star Wars and though, there are some hotties into SW, they're still rare)...but I digress.

I'm a lady! :p And a big Indy fan (including Young Indy series, the ones with the original Old indy beginning though, more than the DVD released versions... stupid GL and his frakking with things) AND I have a Boba Fett costume :p lol, do I win a prize?

I didnt hate the movie... I can understand the not feeling right, some stuff was a little off, but it still felt mostly Indy to me *shrug* Could have been better , certainly. If it was longer and less rushed... less CG , and less LePoof or whatever he was called earlier lol. Not sure who I woulda picked.. but geez. Why not bring back some Sean Patrick Flannery, how old is he now a days lol. Probably too old to have been Mutt, bah.

But I consider myself a big fan, to the point it made me want to be an archeologist (never went all the way to being one, but I do a lot of my own reading and studying of stuff). I wasnt crushed as some people seem to be, but it was a small let down. But hey, how could we not expect some of a let down. We're all older now, we've all got critical eyes now especially as prop folks, and we've already been dealt a blow by prequel SWs episodes...

Took my son to see it last night and I gotta say that I enjoyed it up until the end but still a good movie. I don't think I'd pay to see it again, I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

I've been biting my tongue on this one, but I think I finally found a way to say this delicately...

The movie was okay. It wasn't spectacular, and I doubt it will garner any Academy Awards. It was by no means horrible, either. The story was about as far-fetched as you can get. But, twenty years ago, my own parents rolled their eyes at the first three stories...but I'll get to that in a minute.

As a soundtrack buff myself, I was disappointed that Williams continued to re-hash musical queues from the previous Indy films (he was also guilty of this in the SW prequels). The Ark theme didn't bother me, as it actually pertained to a shot of the Ark. However, using the Grail theme at the end was extremely out of place, in my opinion, since there was no Grail.

The more I thought about it, I came to this conclusion. The film was made solely for nostalgic reasons. Of course, everyone wanted to see Ford one more time with the hat and the whip. Of course, we wanted another look at Marion, since the banter and tension between them in the first film worked so well. We wanted to see how other characters had fared throughout the years, too...alive or not. (By the way, why no mention of Sallah?)

I believe that if this movie had been made three years after Last Crusade, none of us would be so judgmental. Each of us feels we have a connection to Indy that has been cultivated over the years by nostalgia and our love of props and trivia.

But here it is...it's nearly twenty years later...and I, for one, am too old to be able to 'suspend belief' so easily. There. I said it. I got old. I've actually outgrown Indiana Jones. At least the one I grew up with.

I now understand why my parents and other grown-ups never 'got' Indiana Jones. They couldn't believe the stories. I could at the time, because I was a kid, and I didn't care that a box of dust, some magic rocks and an old cup could be the center of great plots. But I'm older now, and I expect more out my entertainment dollar.

Will I buy the DVD? Of course! But only because it will complete the collection. I doubt I'll watch it more than one more time.

Just my two cubits...

I first need to say I LOVE Indy, when I was a kid, Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones was my hero, realy, he still is, but man, aside from TOD, this was my least favorite film from the Indy series. The alien stuff I proboly could of lived with, but the fact that the "beings" left at the end, and that the skeletons became a "being", that was bad. It just went to the next level, which is a bad thing. That, and the not-so-classic Indy getting a fridge after a nuclear explosion. That also was pooly played out. I felt the action never stopped, and although they had a great plot, it just felt like it went on and on with action. There was absoutly no rest. Fight Russians, escape. Fight crazy skeleton warriors. Fight Russians, escape. Get trapped in sand. Fight Russians. Escape, End. I don't like Lucas in the first place, and now I even like him less. Me thinks he needs to retire.....SOON.

Also, MUTT swinging with the monkeys? Come on....Even Disney's Tarzan is saying "come on". I wish they would of left that out. Also, after a while, don't ya think we got all the Marcus Brody hints? I would of rather of just seen the painting of him, and left it at that. In the Area 51 hangar, I totaly expected to see the Ark. And then *poof* there it is. Evrything I expected to see I did, and the "loose ends" where sorta tied up. I left thinking of some old sweaty fan boy writing a fan-fic at his mom's house, wanting to incoperate evrything Indy and 50's into a movie.

There where only like 15 people in the movie today when I whatched it, so it was realy like a private veiwing. Proboly one of my best theater experiences in a long while. Over all, it was Indy, and I realy like Indy. I had known most of the plot points, but not exactly how they would come into play, or be used, but I knew what was coming either way, just not in what order,etc. Its not going to stop me from liking, err, well, loving Indy, I just won't include this in MY Indy, sorta like how the Prequels and EU don't have anything to do with MY SW. :lol:

I've known about the skulls for a long time, I've even studied them at a couple points in time, and to the american public, I can honestly say proboly 90% of them are going to leave the theater wondering what kind of species or being the real-world skulls are based on. :p

My kids and I just got back from seeing it for the second time today...and we LOVED IT! Great to have Marion back! (She's still cute as a button) I loved the smile on her face when Indy uttered the line "There have been others, but they all had the same problem...they weren't you!". I liked the ending and the subject matter of the film. Since it was set in 1957 the whole UFO thing was appropriate. That was the Heyday of the UFO pics (Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers, The Day the Earth Stood Still just to name a few). I liked the fact that jokes were made about his age and that he may be missing a step or two these days.

Indiana Jone's movies have never been anything more than 'popcorn films', the acting overly cheesy, the bad guys one dimensional, the plots totally outlandish. But that's what makes them so enjoyable, IMHO.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I too saw it twice.

I finally got to take my son to see this yesterday, and we loved it, plenty of action and i actually enjoyed the story, I agree that the monkey bit was a bit silly though

Monkey = Silly. It's just the way of things. LOL

Yes, wolfie, I refered to the kid as "Shiela LaPouf" earlier. That's just the first impression I got... not trying to be "politically incorrect" I just didn't get the impression he was the sort of tough-guy adventuring character Indy is.

Eventually, I will see this movie... although the way things usually go with me is - put off going at first, don't find the time to go a bit later, dang don't have the extra cash right now, something else needs doing before I can go, oh man has it really been that long since the movie first hit the theatre?, I should make time soon, what! you mean the movie isn't playing any more?

Last time I made the extra effort to see a movie during the opening it turn out to be the biggest disappointment in a theatre I have ever had... that movie being Phantom Menace. Since then, I have lost my enthusiasm for waiting in long line-ups, in costume, cheering at the person who comes out to open the little rope barrier so people can start oozing into the viewing room. In fact, it hasn't been since the days of the original SW and Indy movies that I have been that enthused about going to a theatre.... well, except for that TPM moment that I don't like to talk about.

Well, I decided to check this out last night and hit the late show. The theater was almost empty, so that was cool. So just off the top of my head:

The bad:

- Shia LeWanker (especially the scene with the hat!) He annoys the hell out of me as an actor.

- too much, and IMO, sub-par CGI

- the whole "Alien" thing. I liked the more "spititually" powered religious artifacts in the previous movies. The Alien thing just didn't seem right to me.

- no Sallah! :(

- most of the storyline. I felt the movie was too rushed, with too much action in it actually. I really didn't care for the script at all.

The things I DID like were:

- seeing Ford as Indy once again. The first time I saw him on screen I got chills. Even at his age, he pulls the character off so well.

- Karen Allen. I had the HUGEST crush on her when I was a lad. I even got drunk for the first time (at 10 or so years old!) while watching the Mongolian bar scene in ROTLA. :lol:

- Cate Blanchet - She could could chase after me ANY day!

Overall I'd give this movie a 6/10. Not terrible, but in no way a good movie. Like the Phantom Menace, I will buy it to complete the set, but it will remain the one movie that never gets watched. Temple of Doom rocked compared to KOTCS as far as I'm concerned.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back