The Asylum's Custom Armor Progress Thread

bucket reminds me of the composite helmet from swg, o and sry for the crappiness of the pic, couldnt find anything better

untitled1.JPG

A quick update and a bit of a radical left turn.

I was REALLY unhappy with the seam around the respirator and I'm seriously considering covering it up with something that I think may be equally cool. I scratched together an external rebreather. You'll still be able to see the details inside though as I'll be putting an LED in there that will shine out of the vents. My own little attention getting, I guess.

And the 'skull' I've sketched in around the T-visor. What do you think of that? Possibly in a 'bone' paint with a LOT of detail or a single 'stencil' paint job? I don't know yet.

Anyways. Here are pics. Looking for opinions.

459146926_d89b1fc385_o.png

459146896_00edb50f06.png

I actually kinda thought you were originally going to cover it with something. =P I think that if you want to see the inner respirator, you should make some more/larger slots. I think that a skull would fit the helmet perfectly, actually. Perhaps Make it a Mythosaur-looking skull with long teeth, and make it all wavy and the like. Maybe even paint horns on the side, and the top of the skull with the crack on the dome of the helmet.

But it's all up to you. Looking great! Are you still keeping the greeblie on the side?

This is one of the most incredible custom Mandos I have ever seen! I am
jaw-dropping impressed by your work. At first, I didn't like the lines on the chest armor, but now they look awesome! I really like your weathering techniques, choices of colors, the addition of TK armor, you're not just making a suit of armor, you're making a character!!

Well done!!

I like what you've got going with the helmet! Myohmy, who would have thought it possible w/ that "cereal killer" helmet, that it could turn out so darn cool?!

I like the idea of a "skull front" as well. Coming down the visor "mandibles" it's a very striking and ominous look.Nice idea also of the hose coming out too!

Extremely looking forward to more! I imagine you've got some "aggressive" boots planned for this badmofo mando?

This is one of the most incredible custom Mandos I have ever seen! I am
jaw-dropping impressed by your work. At first, I didn't like the lines on the chest armor, but now they look awesome! I really like your weathering techniques, choices of colors, the addition of TK armor, you're not just making a suit of armor, you're making a character!!

Well done!!

I like what you've got going with the helmet! Myohmy, who would have thought it possible w/ that "cereal killer" helmet, that it could turn out so darn cool?!

I like the idea of a "skull front" as well. Coming down the visor "mandibles" it's a very striking and ominous look.Nice idea also of the hose coming out too!

Extremely looking forward to more! I imagine you've got some "aggressive" boots planned for this badmofo mando?

Thanks! That means a lot. I really am sculpting a persona just as much as building a suit. This character bears very little resemblance to the Fett family of armor-clad individuals and I think he'll continue to evolve away from 'standard' armor as his character evolves and I get bored with the 'ordinary'

Boots? Well, I already own these and I wear them regularly so they already look broken in. Just cover up the laces and my work is done!

Corcoran%201800%20Boot.jpg

Asylum- looks great. I agree that the rebreather should maybe have slightly larger vents so you can see the innards better... But then maybe not, maybe that inner deatil will be there for the people who look really closely to find it.

As for the skull... I say no. It's too cliche, too punisher/ghost rider/chapel/chaos marine and definitly not rebellion in my mind...

But this is your baby and you've been making all the right choices so far, so I say keep going with what feels right. =)

Phil

And here's what that respirator looks like without all that extra bondo on it.

462082263_d5353d46fa.png

Scratchbuilding it really was a piece of cake once I figured out the shape. For that I went through a fair bit of cardstock. The final piece is made from .060" styrene sheet and an HO scale ladder.

Very nice choice of boots...if I may make a suggestion, I would say take some sandpaper to your boots and an acrylic/alcohol wash to them and weather your flightsuit as well, two very overlooked things that make the uncohesive if you know what I mean?

Nice work so far (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back