Rubber knee question?

kevnaminute

Hunter
Just because I see these go on sale from time to time and I guess this question is really for the old timers (lol) to Fett costuming, but what was the deal with the rubber knees? Was that all you could get for knee armor at one time?

Thanks - (the history of this stuff really fascinates me).

Rubber knees just gave you a bit of comfort in trooping. The rubber knees would have some give to them so the less rigid material allowed for more movement and comfort. Also kneeling and bending is always tough when you are wearing a kit. The rubbers knees made this easier.

But no it was not all that was available. There has always been fiberglass and ABS and misc kinds of plastics and such.

There was a time when it was considered a better option for durability. While it can take what fiberglass and ABS cannot (in terms of stress.)
Two drawbacks though- if it bent, the paint will not flex in the same manner. So it's going to have crack lines in the paint.
Then you have the weight. The rubber weighed more, and some have complained of it sagging, making it less desirable.
Then you could add in a third, which is just closer to screen accurate, as another reason makers use ABS.

If the rubber knees were highly prized, you'd see all the makers offering that.

I got a set of rubber knees the other week, they do flex and yes you can kneel, I plan in reinforcing mine from behind with a shim of card to stop it flexing 'so much' should reduce the paint cracking.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back