Paint issue ? cant figure out the blotching

crimson

Hunter
So i painted the final colour of the boba fett armour and its 116 Humbrol mixed with 104 humbrol 10-1 ratio mixed with a Humbrol thinner 50/50, sprayed with a Iwatta compressor and evolution brush

As you can see Silver no issues :
17533D34-DAE9-4A17-B53E-1CED4AED2037_zps3utj8lln.jpg

Yellow no issues:
D1DB9EC2-A7BD-44A3-99E6-662A41D85C1A_zpsjfdxw31n.jpg

ESB Green no problem :
5210CB85-3125-4415-8C6B-90D942A5EB02_zpswi2xtham.jpg

1C115554-7AEA-48C8-A123-E7FB8CAE97A4_zpsbza1wdaa.jpg

Now the second i go to finish it with the final shade of green this happens ! WTF !:

F6A4B3CF-A0DE-4ED6-88DD-D13C215823E6_zpsoqmx3gjf.jpg

BAA75E9D-0411-4447-844C-31F66340B13A_zpsuzw25lga.jpg

tried thin layers, tried warm environment, tried everything it keeps happening - went to the shop bought another 116 same issue

Whats wrong i cant figure it out

Thanks

There is a possibility that it is the paint. I've done some research on Humbrol and found many complaints on other forums about the formulation on their paints since 2013. From what I've read complaints include:

- Blotchy applications by pro level painters
- Paints never drying
- Color variations from tin to tin of the same number
- Matte paints drying glossy and vice versa
- Unmixable separation of oils and pigments

I only started looking into it because I needed some extra colors recently and decided that since a majority of people were using Humbrol (since Floquil/Pollyscale went away) I would follow suit.

I bought 6 tinlets one being white 34. If paints come in a package that you can't see through I have a habit of shaking the paint by my ear before I purchase it to make sure its viable. I checked all eight containers of white the store had and couldn't hear anything in any of them. I went ahead and bought one since I was there and when I got home realized I should have gone with my better judgement. I opened the tin and it was a tar like sludge. No amount of mixing or thinning is going to fix it. All the other colors I bought you can hear liquid in the tinlet and I know at least one of them was good since I've already used it. I am waiting on opening the others until I need them since another common complaint I found was paint drying up in the tin only days after 1st opening.

According to posts I found the older Humbrol paint was amazing and some model enthusiasts claim to have tinlets dating back to the 70s that are still perfectly usable but have found the new stuff to be a production mess.

I recently started painting my helmet and have to admit I'm afraid to try these paints. Most everything I've used have been Floquils/Pollyscales that I bought years ago to do this, but had a couple of minor colors that I still needed. Anything Humbrol I am definitely going to test spray something else before it goes on the bucket!

I've painted a lot of props over the last few years, and I have found that I greatly prefer acrylic paint over anything else. There is possibly an even broader range of colors that you can use and not to mention water clean up thinning makes life a lot easier. That's how I am planing to paint my whole build an air brush and acrylic paint :)

There is a possibility that it is the paint. I've done some research on Humbrol and found many complaints on other forums about the formulation on their paints since 2013. From what I've read complaints include:

- Blotchy applications by pro level painters
- Paints never drying
- Color variations from tin to tin of the same number
- Matte paints drying glossy and vice versa
- Unmixable separation of oils and pigments

I only started looking into it because I needed some extra colors recently and decided that since a majority of people were using Humbrol (since Floquil/Pollyscale went away) I would follow suit.

I bought 6 tinlets one being white 34. If paints come in a package that you can't see through I have a habit of shaking the paint by my ear before I purchase it to make sure its viable. I checked all eight containers of white the store had and couldn't hear anything in any of them. I went ahead and bought one since I was there and when I got home realized I should have gone with my better judgement. I opened the tin and it was a tar like sludge. No amount of mixing or thinning is going to fix it. All the other colors I bought you can hear liquid in the tinlet and I know at least one of them was good since I've already used it. I am waiting on opening the others until I need them since another common complaint I found was paint drying up in the tin only days after 1st opening.

According to posts I found the older Humbrol paint was amazing and some model enthusiasts claim to have tinlets dating back to the 70s that are still perfectly usable but have found the new stuff to be a production mess.

I recently started painting my helmet and have to admit I'm afraid to try these paints. Most everything I've used have been Floquils/Pollyscales that I bought years ago to do this, but had a couple of minor colors that I still needed. Anything Humbrol I am definitely going to test spray something else before it goes on the bucket!

your right about the colour variances i bought 4 116 and 2 were way different from the others , i got two silver 11 from the factory and they were different

I've painted a lot of props over the last few years, and I have found that I greatly prefer acrylic paint over anything else. There is possibly an even broader range of colors that you can use and not to mention water clean up thinning makes life a lot easier. That's how I am planing to paint my whole build an air brush and acrylic paint :)

Humbrol acrylic or any acrylic , i was thinking of going down the tamiya route same as bobamaker

Do you mix small amounts at a time ?

yes 5ml of humbrol and 7.5ml of thinner

your right about the colour variances i bought 4 116 and 2 were way different from the others , i got two silver 11 from the factory and they were different

Humbrol acrylic or any acrylic , i was thinking of going down the tamiya route same as bobamaker

yes 5ml of humbrol and 7.5ml of thinner

I have a handful of Humbrol acrylic, but I have found that just the average bottles of craft store acrylic mixes well for air brushing and there are countless colors. I will post up some pictures when I get a chance.

Honestly I prefer Model Masters acrylics and my old trusty polyscales etc....humbrols work ok for me...but looks like maybe too much thinner?

I can attest to that. I have a few tins from my brother's old modeling days, way back when. They're great. Of all the old paints he had, the Humbrol ones were the only ones that were actually still usable.

Honestly I prefer Model Masters acrylics and my old trusty polyscales etc....humbrols work ok for me...but looks like maybe too much thinner?

i was using 50/50 and found it too think what do you recommended ?

I can attest to that. I have a few tins from my brother's old modeling days, way back when. They're great. Of all the old paints he had, the Humbrol ones were the only ones that were actually still usable.

I have older humbrol from my warhammer days and they do work amazingly your right the new stuff is too inconsistent

Also how are you mixing your paint? You hae a mixer?

No just shaking it in my hand it appears to be working well, i bought an electronic mixer but not needed to use it so far

i was using 50/50 and found it too think what do you recommended ?

I have older humbrol from my warhammer days and they do work amazingly your right the new stuff is too inconsistent

No just shaking it in my hand it appears to be working well, i bought an electronic mixer but not needed to use it so far
50/50 is PROBABLY too much....theres no magic forumula. You need to add a little stir...add a little, stir. Then when its the right thickness (not to thick but thin enough to go through the brush) youre good to go...Id add a bit of paint to the mix if you still have it. I like to put my humbrols into old model masters bottles so I don't have to open a tin thin it out each time....I make a batch thinned and all and go to town.

50/50 is PROBABLY too much....theres no magic forumula. You need to add a little stir...add a little, stir. Then when its the right thickness (not to thick but thin enough to go through the brush) youre good to go...Id add a bit of paint to the mix if you still have it. I like to put my humbrols into old model masters bottles so I don't have to open a tin thin it out each time....I make a batch thinned and all and go to town.

Nice idea next time i go to the market i will try and buy some glass bottles for paints :

do i did a mix 5ml paint 4ml thinner 60/40 and used the electronic stir

the paint appeared to do the same thing- this lead me to believe the green was eating the darker green

so i put on a very thin layer of primer and sprayed over it

this was the result:

005A8379-F814-4CCB-BD62-E4113B6B44D3_zpsmk7wctzn.jpg

What do you think (i know it needs weathering) but is it ok for 501st standards i followed ralfets template to the dot

F4R pretty much said what i said in your thread over on the BHG lol. He is 100% correct in that there is no magic formula..i wish there was lol..but generally i do 2:1 paint to thinner if i had to give a number of some sort. It all depends on how thick the paint is to begin with, and the brands are all different as well. I also do the same thing and put the humbrols in model master jars pre thinned. As much as i like the humbrols, i hate those little tins!

Now onto what what you have there..it looks.... ok. The issue is the paint now looks way to thick. The layers should be very thin so you dont get those deep edges. But becaue you were having so many issue with the paint in the beginning, you really ended up with a very thick coat of paint. From a distance it would probably look fine, and may pass legion standards. If it was mine though, id strip it down, and start over doing whatever you did to prevent the issues you had in the beginning...less thinner, warmer environment etc.

so 2:1 ratio - sometimes i open it and the enamel has the consistency of jam other times its like milk.

I will buy some paint bottles and decant them like you suggested

i see what you mean about the paint being to thick - i believe its because of the primer it was thick even though it was a super thin layer

I want to prepare something that will pass UK garrison standards rather than may pass.

I can practice my weathering technique on it and then practice stencilling this way if i mess it up it wont be so much of a waste of time.

do you think i should move onto acrylic ? I have £70 worth of colours would be a complete waste to move on ?

I'm bias toward acrylic because enamel did me wrong many times many years ago. The nice thing about acrylic is everything is done with water. Too thick? Add some water. Painted the wrong thing? Clean with water. Out of paint thinner? Go to the sink lol.

Sent from my iPhone

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back